UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2018, 11:22 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default BVWS Golborne (Manchester) swap meet

The Golborne BVWS swapmeet is Sunday 8th April, west of Manchester.

http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

Doors open at 10 (stall holders 9.30). The usual variety of stalls selling vintage Radio, Television, Audio, Communications receivers, Test gear, Valves, Components, Spares, etc. Ample free parking, hot and cold refreshments available. The BVWS stall will be there selling the usual range of capacitors, Deoxit, etc.

If you have one or two items you'd like to sell, the 'Bring and Buy' stall is where you can sell them at 10% commission to the BVW&TV Museum.

The stores are bursting at the seams again, so they'll be a huge variety of bargains overflowing from the BVWS table, everything must go!

If you're not a BVWS member, why not come along for a sample visit? You'll be made most welcome and you can even take the plunge and join on the day if you like what you see! Credit/debit card payments taken at the BVWS stall. And you can renew your 2018 membership and receive the latest Bulletin and your membership card, if you haven't yet done so...

See you there....

BVWS committee chairman
Old 26th Mar 2018, 7:42 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Golborne (Manchester) swap meet

I certainly hope to be there!

Incidentally, may I ask that anyone who brings an item for the Bring & Buy, whether on a 10% commission basis or simply for museum funds, checks whether it has sold by the time they leave, collecting any proceeds from the sale if it has or taking the item away if it hasn't - otherwise I end up having to find space for it, first in my car and then in my already-over-crowded store room.

Thank you to everyone who ensured that the table was empty by the time I left last time.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 10:36 am   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I intend being there with a table full of radio spares, if you need any hard to find part please Pmail me and if I have it I will bring it along.

John.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 10:56 am   #4
LukeG83
Hexode

Hello, I would like to go to this, but I am not currently a BVWS member. Your post states I can come on a 'sample visit', do I have to register beforehand in order to do this?

Many thanks, Luke
Old 26th Mar 2018, 11:42 am   #5
audiomagpie
Heptode

Luke, just come along on the day, you'll be made most welcome..

BVWS committee chairman
Old 26th Mar 2018, 11:55 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Wear a name badge Luke. you will make friends.
In fact, why don't we all wear a name badge? I know lots of members on the forums but cannot put a face to the names.
Sam.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 1:27 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good advice from Sam there Luke, I'm expecting to turn up [badged like a retail item]. I think, perhaps, you were due to visit me in Ramsbottom at one point but couldn't make it in the end? This ID issue is a bit of an old chestnut really! Unfortunately, there is often more enthusiasm for the idea than happens in reality. I remember a burst of interest before one session and then, I was the only person with a badge. Someone immediately looked at it though and said -"Oh it's you!" and he had hoped to find me, so it does work!

On the other hand, I do appreciate that other people may prefer and are entitled to their privacy-I very much had that attitude myself at one time and not just about Radio Meetings. I'm also identifiable as the only Forum/BVWS member from Rammy. Even in little Bexhill there's two of us on the Forum and rattling off to the Tonbridge Audio Jumble whenever possible!

Like Greg, I would also encourage others to try and get to Warrington-he does put in all that work after all. This has never been a auction venue with some of the issues that can [rarely] arise, so feel free to show up on any basis. You will be welcomed!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Mar 2018 at 1:49 pm.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 2:55 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
In fact, why don't we all wear a name badge? I know lots of members on the forums but cannot put a face to the names.
Sam.
I'm all in favour of name badges (especially forum name) to put faces to forum members. I intend to wear mine - which gives not only my name/forum name (they're the same thing in my case) but my avatar.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 4:27 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Luke and others, see you all there.

Ed
Old 26th Mar 2018, 4:38 pm   #10
KeithsTV
Nonode

I'll be going, with a name badge as well, aiming to arrive around 10am.

I'll be giving a talk titled "An Introduction to Semiconductors part 1 - Diodes and Rectifiers" in the side room at around 11:30. This is the talk I intended giving last November before domestic issues got in the way. I'll be giving part 2 of the talk on transistors and ICs at the November meeting.

If anyone has any diodes they'd like to see the characteristics of please bring them along and I'll put them on my simple curve tracer.

Last year I asked if anyone had any metal rectifiers I could borrow for the talk and received several diodes and rectifiers which have proved useful for the talk but I have mislaid a few of the labels I put on them to identify the owners. If you have sent me any diodes and can identify them you can have them back after the talk. Alternatively I can take them to NVCF to return them to their original owners.

There's no need to book a seat at the talk just turn up around 11:30.

Keith
Old 27th Mar 2018, 9:06 am   #11
LukeG83
Hexode

Hi - thanks for the encouragement, I have the address details and hope to be there on the 8th April. First time I have ever been to a swap meet, so hopefully there will be some bits and pieces of interest. I'm especially interested in old video technology and 8 bit computers (the BBC is going strong Ed!).

Look forward to seeing some faces there. Best wishes, Luke
Old 27th Mar 2018, 1:38 pm   #12
mark_in_manc
Octode

At a previous meet here, I took a table and managed to move on quite a lot of stuff (especially piles of Hameg scopes!) as part of my Christian Aid sell-up. I think I have enough to take a table again, if there's room - does anyone know who I need to ask?

Thanks
Mark
Old 27th Mar 2018, 1:48 pm   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Mark, I would guess there would be a table for you, more the merrier. The person to ask is Mark, I will PM you his contact details.

John.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 7:07 pm   #14
mark_in_manc
Octode

Thanks John, we are now in contact, and thanks Mark for your reply to my email. See you there!
Old 27th Mar 2018, 7:15 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Can someone please PM me the contact details for the organiser so I can add them to the relevant page on the BVWS website. It seems to be the only event location without contact info.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Mar 2018, 7:18 pm   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Oh yes apologies, I should have credited [Golborne] Mark in my post, along with Greg. Sorry about that!

Dave
Old 27th Mar 2018, 7:47 pm   #17
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Paul, Pm sent.

John.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 8:30 pm   #18
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thanks John. Website updated and Mark emailed.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Mar 2018, 8:51 pm   #19
Kentode
Octode

I'll be there, wearing my badge ( it has a little toad on it).

As always I'll be attending Keith's talk and learning a little bit more than l knew before!

BVWS member
Old 28th Mar 2018, 7:22 am   #20
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Good Morning.
I am looking forward to going.
Regards
Kevin.
Closed Thread