UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2016, 4:01 pm   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Default Table Top Sale at the Museum this Sunday.

The Spring Table Top sale at the British Vintage Wireless & Television Museum will be held this coming Sunday (24th April).

There will be many tables filled full of interesting goods for sale.

The BVWS Capacitor table will also be there and I will be taking a van load of stuff to sell.

The Museum disposal tables will also be filled to the brim with radio & TV items.

Stalls are £6.00 each (includes stallholder entry)
Please contact Eileen on 0208-670-3667 to book your place.

General visitors are £3.00 at the door.

Entry is 10:00am for the stallholders and 11:00am for general entry.

There will be light refreshments available throughout the event.

The Museum will also be open for viewing and tours.

Come and enjoy a lovely spring day in the Garden and find that bargain you have been looking for.

You will also be able to see the new Museum Galleries.

See you there...

Mike...
Old 20th Apr 2016, 10:56 am   #2
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Default Re: Table Top Sale at the Museum this Sunday.

Where is the British Vintage Wireless & Television Museum
and what is car parking availability/cost?

regards
johnb
Old 20th Apr 2016, 11:11 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

Normally it is possible to park free in the street nearby;
23 Rosendale Road
West Dulwich
London
SE21 8DS
http://www.bvwtm.org.uk/contact/index.htm
Old 20th Apr 2016, 1:02 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Thanks for heads up! I have to drop off eldest son at Heathrow on Sunday morning. I think my return journey may be rather more circuitous than expected
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Apr 2016, 3:41 pm   #5
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
I hope to be able to get along ! Hope the weather is going to be good.
regards Peter B
Old 21st Apr 2016, 3:58 pm   #6

Take care to miss the London marathon road closures, SHMBO reminded me.

Old 21st Apr 2016, 4:23 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I don't know if I will be able to make it, but a couple of questions :

1) Do you have to be a member of the BVWS or any other oganisation, or are 'J-random-public' (like me) welcome?

2) Do you happen to know the best London bus route/stop to get to the museum from (if not, I can find it...)
Old 21st Apr 2016, 6:07 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Members only Tony according to the events section on the BVWS site. I've been signed up for a long time but have never got to a Museum event yet! I was hoping to perhaps visit this weekend on the way back to Sussex but I may be (detained in Buckingham shire I've just missed Golborne as well as I wasn't at home in Lancs.

I'm sure you could go along to Dulwich and join on the spot [as happens at other events] if this is your inclination-worth it for the quality magazine alone!

Of course it's possible to just visit the Museum [by appointment] as a J-random punter on non event days. Hope that helps.
Dave W
Old 21st Apr 2016, 9:23 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If it is BVWS only (which I'm not sure about despite what the website says), guests are always welcome at BVWS events so you won't be turned away. So do go along if you can, support the museum and grab a bargain!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 9:56 am   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks Paul. That is a very helpfull comment. Despite the website info, I thought myself it might possibly be the case but it also seemed likely that the venue size could dictate a restriction on numbers.. not by membership status. Having only seen photos, I didn't want to mislead anyone. I very much hope Tony will now feel empowered to get the right bus and turn up! BVWS people are friendly and new faces are very welcome. I might even get there myself but the Gods are not smiling on me at present

As a long term subscriber, I'd always noticed a difference between the "members only" view point and encouraging new participants. There is some confusion which I think stemmed from a "dealer invasion" problem many years ago at auctions [as I understand it].

The tireless Mike Barker, in particular, is always very clear these days about Swapmeets [like Golborne] and Auction events [where understandably only members can bid] making it very clear that "new blood" is always welcome to come a take a look It makes no sense to think otherwise in my opinion and I'm pleased to have encouraged a couple of unsure individuals to turn up in the past, who then joined up [no pressure is ever applied].

I think it might be appropriate for the Society to prioritise a policy statement on the website now or to add a positive caveat to the the events list-things change and need clarity. I remember a time, for example, when you had to remind people [quite frequently] that despite all the links your site is privately owned as it was often assumed to be a BVWS resource. That now seems to have been clarified

Cheers,

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Apr 2016 at 10:02 am.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 1:15 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

It would not be hard for me to get there (even on a Sunday, when buses and trains are less frequent), BUT I do not want to make the effort and then be told 'not a member, you can't come in' or 'you can't buy anything'.

I fully understand that societies run events for their members, and it would be entirely reasonable if it were for BVWS members only. At this point it doesn't seem too clear one way or the other.

I hate to say this, but if I joined every club/society for all my interests then (a) I would be bankrupt and (b) I would not be able to get through the front door for all the journals, etc that would be delivered. So alas I do have to 'ration' what I am a member of.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 2:46 pm   #12
Hoveradio
Pentode

Hello,I stand to be corrected but this event has always been open to all, not just BVWS members.
Look back through the search facility and you will find this is the case.
John.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 3:45 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Point understood about memberships and Journals Tony [it afflicts us all] but it is now clear. Just go along anyway as a vistor/guest . I'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms. I'll refund your bus ticket if not but you really don't need to worry. Every organisation has it's occasional gltiches-that's human nature but it's nothing to concern you about at this stage. I'm sure you will really enjoy the experience if you actually turn up. I've never heard of anyone being turned away in recent memory and I've explained why I thought [mistakenly and wrongly] that there might be a restriction on numbers.

I met a resident in Bexhill last year who was selling a book about a local vicar here [as popular as Gerry in his district] who was also a motor bike journalist. The man said that he used to live in Dulwich and I asked if he ever knew Gerry Wells and his house [now the museum]? He said everyone knew Gerry and that his own family garden backed onto the Wells plot with a connecting gate. He remembered seeing the roofs of all the Radio sheds in Gerry and the neighbours gardens from his bedroom window as a child.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Apr 2016 at 4:00 pm.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 5:09 pm   #14

I have never been asked for my BVWS membership card at a members only do (as said this isn't anyway). I think the general idea is it's usually only members that know and if publicly known only enthusiasts will turn up. All well and good, turn up and the museum will welcome you (and the three quid!)

It is rather nice to be taken on trust in these days of 'can I have (have? they mean see) you photo ID', anyway what does the D mean?

Old 22nd Apr 2016, 5:13 pm   #15
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I am going to try to make it.... It won't cost me anything to get there (other than the entry fee, of course) as I buy a weekly bus pass anyway. Just time and disappointment if I can't get in.

Where is it on Rosendale Road? It looks to be a very long road from the map. There are buses at the north end (Brockley Park) and some near other bits of the road. Rather not have to walk too far...
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 5:42 pm   #16
petertheorgan
Hexode

Tony
I have sent you a PM
Peter
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 6:17 pm   #17
murphymad
Heptode

Hello Tony, All,

This event at the Museum is OPEN TO ALL.

It is not a BVWS event, it is a Museum event so do come along and enjoy the day.
You will not be turned away, Heaven forbid that we would do such a thing to an interested visitor to the Museum.

The Museum is situated at 23 Rosendale Rd, West Dulwich, SE21 8DS.

It is at the far end of Rosendale Road between Park Hall Rd. and Tritton Rd.

It is a ten minute walk from West Dulwich train station which is on the Orpington line out of Victoria.
Can't help with Bus info though as I have never used a bus service in that area.

Mike...
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 7:15 pm   #18
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Thanks for the replies.

Mike : Peter said much the same thing to me privately, that it is open to anyone and roughly where it is.

From a quick look at the maps, it appears that Bus route 3 (from Crystal Palace) stops at the end of Park Hall Road, so I will try that.

I hope to see some members of the forum there.
Old 24th Apr 2016, 5:02 pm   #19
Herald1360
Dekatron

Ouch! My wallet hurts a bit now

Got a very neat American miniature set at a reasonable price (for the set, not my pocket), but the pain was assuaged by a bargain basement late Roberts tranny from Mike's stash. An intriguing roll up small parts/tool box and a field strength meter covering Bands 1 to 5 completed the haul.

A natter in the kitchen over several cups of tea and some splendid homemade shortbread warmed me up enough to face the south circular for a second time and I made it back to Witney by 4 o'clock.

Thanks to all involved in the organisation and especially Dave's mum for the shortbread
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Apr 2016, 5:48 pm   #20
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I really enjoyed it too.

The prices were (I feel) very reasonable. I bought only 5 items (sorry, I had to carry it all back on the bus) including a Sony battery-powered reel-to-reel tape recorder, one of those tiny Marconiphone valve radios (P20B I think) and a BK467 CRT tester.

I had some interesting chats with other people too. Thankfully there are others as eccentric as me (although in different areas)

A big Thank You to all involved in organising it!
Closed Thread