UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2016, 5:25 pm   #1

Default Amberley Museum

Thinking of going there tomorrow (Sunday 19th June 2016) any 'not to miss' bits? Apart from the radio building of course.

Old 18th Jun 2016, 6:14 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Amberley Museum

It's museums on the air weekend, so have a listen on 40m and you might find them. I've just worked the Orkney Radio Museum and the Parham Airfield one, and heard Bletchley blasting away.

David
Old 18th Jun 2016, 8:19 pm   #3
thermionic
Heptode

I went there a few years ago now, and it's ALL interesting! A fabulous place, staffed by enthusiastic and knowledgable people, many I understand, are volunteers.

Enjoy your day!

SimonT.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 10:54 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Superb place,I went there many times to "radio days" when the the late great Ron Ham and Geof Arnold were there.

Also met the famous tv dxer Roger Bunney,"Television " mag or maybe Practical Television mag.

PS See the Lancaster Bomber mock up.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 11:20 pm   #5
Bobdger
Hexode

Been there today, arts and crafts for local artists, As Parham park steam rally is on up the road about 3 miles away very few craft stalls. The radio building was manned today by a guy from Selsey, Intresting chat. Buses and steam train running all day.
Bob.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 4:59 pm   #6

Just got back, picked the weather perfectly for the motorcycle!
Superb, lots and lots of interesting stuff, I did 'tick off' all the bits on the map supplied just to make sure I saw everything.
Best bits, as said before it's all good but if you only have a short time to visit...
Radio room.
Connected earth.
Electricity hall.
Rural telephone exchange.
All the (vintage) telephones work and some have a list of numbers to ring, trying one at random had a quick chat with a surprised lady. I had breakfast in a posh cafe soon after getting there and a few hours later a very nice 'cream fizzy drink' (as opposed to cream tea). More than 40 buildings to visit (that's less than 5 shillings each) and with free parking makes it a place well worth visiting.

I would give it at least four hours for a short visit, my travelling time was three hours total, easily doable in a day.

If you can go, do so.
MM

P.S. Priority parking for motorcycles right next to the entrance.

Old 20th Jun 2016, 10:37 am   #7
Karen O
Rest in Peace

A distinguished member of the NBTVA owns and maintains a reproduction Baird televisor at Amberley. Well worth a look.
Old 20th Jun 2016, 6:03 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Superb, lots and lots of interesting stuff, I did 'tick off' all the bits on the map supplied just to make sure I saw everything.

...I would give it at least four hours for a short visit, my travelling time was three hours total, easily doable in a day.
Amberley, and especially the top notch quality of its radio / electronics and electrical / communications sections was well praised by myself and many others in another older thread so I won't repeat what I said there, but it's worth noting also that the entrance is within very easy walking distance of Amberley railway station.

Amberley is on the line which runs straight south from Victoria, past Gatwick, branches west at Three Bridges and goes past Crawley, Horsham, Billingshurst, Pulborough, then Amberley and Arundel before meeting the east-west running south coast line near Littlehampton. It's one of the rare truly great out-of-town retro-technical museums which is served more or less directly by a train station, so if Amberley is a very long way away from where you live you might consider that option.
Closed Thread