UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2016, 8:37 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Success story Radford LDO3 and warning.

In the round-tuit pile I have had 2 broken Radford low distortion oscillators for a couple of years, one missing several case parts and the other with a broken shaft to the 3 ganged pots. The shaft is made of Paxolin or similar and it clearly had quite a bang shearing it off just where it enters the pot.
I powered up the one still with a complete shaft and it worked by the frequency range was limited and it was prone to vary the amplitude. The other powered up and gave a stable output but I could not vary the frequency. I thought simple just unscrew the 6 terminal used on the pot and swap them over. Big mistake it turned out the screws (one circled in red) go into non captive nuts which fall off inside the pot when unscrewed. The pot is bonded together with no access to inside.
This is now where I spent about 3 hours trying various solutions, none worked until I managed to shake the pot so that I could see the nut through the hole with a small pointed screwdriver position it over the hole on the inside. I clamped the pot in a vice so I could see the nut still through the hole whilst lying on my back, I tried to pass the screw through hole and pick up the nut without success. I then repositioned the nut for another go but this time I sharpened the end of the screw to a point and cleaned up the thread, after about 5 more goes the screw caught on the nut and by keeping a downward force the screw went in and tightened up. Concerned that it would not work I connected it up to an Avo and checked that the pot was still working which it was, clearly I must have collected up any wires or terminals that the nut tightened down on.
So having refitted the pot with a shaft in the second unit I was pleased to discover that it all worked. I set up the PSU as per the manual then checked the output ranges, set the frequency calibration against the dial, the meter calibration, finally the distortion on an HP distortion meter proved everything was on spec. Phew off for a cuppa.
You have been warned!
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LDO3 Pot.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	122065  
Old 29th Mar 2016, 5:01 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Success story Radford LDO3 and warning.

What a fiendish design. Obviously the screws were inserted and tightened down onto the solder tags, with the wires ready attached, before the pots were assembled. Anyway, well done for sorting it out! And thanks for the warning.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 29th Mar 2016, 5:53 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have had a similar experience with these types of pots, luckily they were single types with a paxolin cover held in place with glue. It was a wire wound type with the nut clamping down the end of the track. I am pretty sure they were made by Colvern.

Mark
Old 29th Mar 2016, 6:04 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

Mark, you are correct it was made by Colvern but it was 3 bonded together only the rear one was accessible through the Paxolin cover and of course I undid the front one first! At least I twigged on the first screw.
BTW the photo doesn't show the size they were huge at around 3" in diameter.
Chris
Old 29th Mar 2016, 6:16 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi Chris, The ones I have had dealings with are about 2" dia and a common fitment to early 50's Bush TV's. Looking at your photo, it appears the outer cases are glued together. I am curious as to how the shaft is fitted?

I have certainly learned to unsolder the tags rather than remove the screws!

Mark
Old 29th Mar 2016, 7:51 pm   #6
chriswood1900
Octode

Mark. Unfortunately I have not been able to work out how the shaft works it is larger than normal at about 3/8" you would probably need to destroy the pots to get inside, so the mystery must remain awhile longer!
Chris
Closed Thread