UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2011, 11:34 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Smile The Bill Smith Chronicles Part 3

Hi all,

After a few calls to The Radiophile, I managed to get me a copy of 'The Bill Smith Chronicles' parts 1 & 2 and it's an excellent read !
Those lovely people at Radiophile only had one copy left and went to the time and trouble of scanning every page to make me a copy

So, my question is this...
It states that in Part 3, Bill talks about his time as manager in a TV repair shop. (On the last page)
Does anyone have a copy of this or know if it was ever printed ?
As you all probably know, I'm an ex telly man myself and have a massive interest in the history of Television and would love to read this part of the story.

Kind Regards

Dr. Dave
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 10:04 am   #2
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: The Bill Smith Chronicles Part 3

Hello Dave,
I'm not a telly guy myself, but, sadly, slightly connected to Bill. His latter years, prior to retirement, were spent at W.D. Allen's Electrical Shop in Peterhead. Roddy Allen eventually retired about 5 years ago & the shop closed. Bill himself had by then passed away.
I was fortunate to purchase from Roddy a mass of old & NOS spares, some old test equipment used by Bill, Bill's old toolbox, a Murphy U128 Radio with some notes by Bill, and some odds & sods. Trevor, aka Murphy v310, also came with me & acquired old tellys & stuff. We were both very sad seeing a lovely old radio workshop closed, and with such an association with the vintage radio fraternity.
Edge of town Supermarkets & internet sites selling cheapo flat screen TV's, cheapo radios, and white goods, etc., have hastened the demise of most high street electrical retailers up here.

Regards, David
Closed Thread