UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2007, 4:05 am   #1
mickash
Hexode

Default HMV 470 Dial Cord

Does anyone have any information or diagrams to help in restringing the dial cord on the HMV model 470 receiver. This is a 1932 console model.

I have the Trader sheet for the Marconphone 256/258 which also covers the 470 but the dial cord described is different.

The 470, as far as I can tell, uses two separate cords, one for the tuning gang and another for the twin dial drums (LW and MW). But I could be wrong on that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael.
Old 8th Dec 2007, 7:18 pm   #2
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: HMV 470 Dial Cord

This model may be similar to the Columbia sets, can't be of any more help than this I'm afraid but might give you some idea.

Good Luck, a picture of the set would be nice

Geof
Old 8th Dec 2007, 7:50 pm   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: HMV 470 Dial Cord

I have manuf. data listed for the 470 AC and DC - I'll check to see if it covers the dial cord. Andy
Old 9th Dec 2007, 4:01 pm   #4
mickash
Hexode

Geof, yes the Trader sheet I have states that this set uses the same chassis as the Columbia 356 and 631 but the dial cord arrangement is different unfortunately. The 470 uses a separate tuning dial/drum for both LW & MW where the other models seem to use a single drum mounted end on through the chassis. The price new of this set in 1932 was £33 12s, that would have been a small fortune then!

Andy, yes it would be great if you could dig out this data for me, cheers.

And here are some pics. of the set if I've attached them correctly.

Michael.
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (1.81 MB, 143 views)
Old 9th Dec 2007, 4:09 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Andy

Trader Sheet 864 "E.M.I. Cord Drives" includes the HMV 470 and is available from Paul Stenning.
Old 9th Dec 2007, 5:14 pm   #6
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: HMV 470 Dial Cord

Hi Michael
Thanks for the pictures, quite a piece of craftsmanship. I hope the Trader sheet gives the details you are after.

The price of a semi was around £300 back then so it gives some idea of how expensive the radio was, in todays terms it could be 15 to 20 thousand!

Good Luck

Geof
Old 9th Dec 2007, 6:44 pm   #7
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
Hi Andy

Trader Sheet 864 "E.M.I. Cord Drives" includes the HMV 470 and is available from Paul Stenning.
In that case, being as purchase of the data supports this forum, I'll pass. A.
Old 9th Dec 2007, 8:30 pm   #8
mickash
Hexode

Geof, these sets must have been out of reach, price wise, for most people, a luxury item. I wonder if radio engineers were paid accordingly to the price of the equipment they serviced.

Many thanks Andy for your interest.

Colin, I've looked on Paul Stenning's website and can't find a listing for Trader Sheet 864, could you point me in the right direction please.

Michael.
Old 10th Dec 2007, 6:50 pm   #9
ukcol
Rest in Peace

First an apology.

I addressed my post (number 5) to Andy when it should have been Michael. My apologies to both of you.

Now engaging brain....

Hi Michael,

The service sheet in question is on Paul's CD VRSD3. To get a copy click top right of this page and then click on "Vintage Radio Service Data by Email". At the next page click on "Service Data Index" At the next page click on "HMV" The sheet you want is at the very bottom of the HMV page and is entitled "Tuning Drives".

I suspect you didn't need all that detail but I was going for belt and braces.

On the sheet are 6 different drives covering 38 models. For the information of those reading this post, models covered are .....

Columbia

355 and 620

HMV

436, 438, 440, 441, 442, 443, 470, 512, 523, 524, 540, 541, 542, 570, 570A, and 580

Marconiphone

253, 254, 256, 258, 262, 264, 272, 274, 276, 286, 287, 288, 289, 296, 290, 291, 292, 297 and 298.

Hope this is of help to some of you out there.
Old 11th Dec 2007, 1:23 am   #10
mickash
Hexode

Thanks Colin, Andy and Geof for your help and interest. Paul has provided me with the correct sheet and looking at it, I'm sure that without it, I would be faced with hours of frustration trying to work out how to restring the cord.

Its a terrible task even if the drive is simple and obvious!

All I need now is some time to sit down uninterrupted by the kids and get the new cord laced! I should have some heavy duty RS cord somewhere in the loft.

Thanks again, Michael.
Old 16th Dec 2007, 8:46 pm   #11
mickash
Hexode

I've had a look at the Trader sheet and a closer look at the set and found that a couple of pulleys shown on the Trader sheet are missing from my set.

There are holes in the places where they should be but there are no marks around the holes that might suggest that pulleys were there at some time in the past.

Maybe time has covered up any traces of pulleys, I don't know but I can't see how it could have worked without them.

Has anybody got one of these sets that could send a photo of these pulleys so that I might be able to make something up to replace them?

The pulleys in question lie underneath/behind the Long Wave tuning scale and feed the cord onto the LW tuning drum.

According to the Trader sheet models using the same cord layout are HMV 523 and 524 and Marconiphone 290 and 291.

Many thanks, Michael.
Closed Thread