UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2007, 9:41 pm   #1
RobinBirch
Hexode

Default Ultra Tiger Questions

This will teach me to open magazines while I'm up to my eyeballs in other stuff.

I've got a radiogram that I bought years ago cos it looked nice. I knew that it was an Ultra but I didn't know what type and was going to find out "one day". Well I was skimming through the latest BVWS comic and came across a case restoration for an Ultra Tiger and went - That's my set!!!!

So, shift christmas cards of the top, look inside and sure enough it is a complete and, without taking anything apart on first glance, un-mucked about Ultra Tiger.

So I've pulled the valves and found that one has a total cathode short (MTP4 Output Pentode). My first question is theefore has anyone got one of these that could be sold/swapped?

Moving on, Looking at the set someone has been in there as the varios cap connections on the valves were disconnected and looking at the chassis there are two round holes.

Underneath the various bits are clean and there doesn't appear to have been too much mucking about but there is a two part electrolytic that doesn't look kosher which may explain the two holes in the top of the chassis.

Also everything appears to be covered in a fine layer of rust.

So, next question. I've never seen the insides of one of these before, should there be some big caps where the two holes are?

And following that. What's the easiest way of getting rid of the rust?

The photos show what I found. I haven't dismantled anything yet other than to pull the valves and have a brief look at the chasiss. It is all back together now awaiting some time to look at it properly.

Help

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1055.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	14171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1058.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	14172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1060.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	14173  
Old 27th Dec 2007, 11:14 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultra Tiger Questions

Hi Robin,

Yes, the can under the chassis is probably replacing the two original big wet electrolytics. I was going to provide a photo of the chassis of my Tiger table model, but I hadn't been inside it for about fifteen years, and now that I look it's lost its original cans too. So here's a scan from Newnes Complete Wireless instead

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002A.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	14178  
Old 28th Dec 2007, 12:08 am   #3
RobinBirch
Hexode

Hi,
That explains the two holes. As whoever did the replacement did such a reasonable job I'll leave it as it is unless I can come up with two equivalent cans and put them in place.

Now all I need is a new output pentode :-(

Robin
Old 28th Dec 2007, 12:48 am   #4
PJL
Dekatron

It should have been an AC/PEN. I presume you mean MPT4? anyway never seen a working example and I usually find an MKT4 in their place. Replacement MKT4's were made for a long time so there are still plenty about...I assume it's the 5 pin variety with side contact for the screen?

A heater-cathode short I guess?

I have just cleaned up a Marconi 296 chassis in similar condition using a rust remover. It's a messy job and requires coils to be stripped off. From what I can make out the very fine rust seems to be from the plating which unfortunately makes the remover less effective meaning a few coats will be required. The remover tends to lift good plating too.

Last edited by PJL; 28th Dec 2007 at 12:58 am.
Old 28th Dec 2007, 5:41 pm   #5
RobinBirch
Hexode

Ah ok, if an AC/PEN is what should be there then that is what I want, or something like it.

Yes, heater/cathode totally shorted, about 5 ohms.

What was the chassis plated with? It doesn't look like the residue that xinc leaves.

Robin
Old 28th Dec 2007, 9:51 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

Whatever it was, it was applied to the tuning capacitor which made that appear rusty despite being brass underneath.

AC/PEN, MPT4 or most likely to work and be affordable is the MKT4 but make sure you get the appropriate base as these were availabe as B7 or B5 and side contact.
Old 29th Dec 2007, 10:59 am   #7
Ian B
Hexode

I believe chassis were usually plated with cadmium, probably because it takes solder better than zinc (or so I read recently).

Ian blackbourn
Old 30th Dec 2007, 2:15 am   #8
RobinBirch
Hexode

Ah,
If that is the case then this could be a little interesting. Firstly getting things cad plated is damn near impossible unless you have a friend in an aerospace/military manufacturer and secondly it is going to make cleaning it up a job for dustmasks rubber gloves and instantly laundried clothes.

Robin
Closed Thread