UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2017, 7:07 pm   #1
MrBungle
Nonode

Default Wanted Philips PM3217 oscilloscope

My ď£10 bargainĒ PM3217 blew out the power supply a couple of months back and is unfortunately beyond repair after analysis today. The main switching transformer has two open windings. RIP.

If anyone has another one of these scopes lying around that at least the power supply section working, Iíd be interested in it as a parts mule. Alternatively if you have a working one Iíd be interested too as I can use this one as a parts mule.

I have a backup scope but itís digital and I really want to get rid of it as Iím not a fan of digital scopes.
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 9:52 pm   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Wanted Philips PM3217 oscilloscope

I have a working one of these which I was looking to sell on as I upgraded to a 100Mhz scope. The far right output terminal is missing so it has been got at somewhere in its past. I bought it from a radio rally and have been using it right up till earlier this year. Message me if you are interested. It’s a bit of a lump so might be dodgy trying to post it.

Regards

Graham
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 11:35 pm   #3
MrBungle
Nonode

Ah yeah they don’t post well. I have actually had two scopes destroyed so far in the post trying to replace this one. Devon is a bit far for me so will pass. Thanks for the offer however.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:13 am   #4
cliff2903
Diode

PM sent

I believe they can be used (fully isolated) from a 24v battery. So there's another option.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 2:01 pm   #5
mhennessy
Dekatron

Sadly not. The switching part of the PSU runs from 24V DC, and that's the part that's gone.

Occasional failures of that transformer are the only "show-stopper" that I've encountered with these 'scopes. The same transformer was also used in the PM3215 as far as I know.

If you get nowhere, I might be able to find a PSU PCB from one of these. It won't be immediately, as we have to spend a bit of time sorting through our remaining stock and make some decisions about them. But come back to me if you get nowhere with this request...
Old 4th Dec 2017, 4:48 pm   #6
MrBungle
Nonode

cliff2903 has pointed to a suitable unit on ebay which isn't difficult for me to get to which would be a good parts mule. If not I will take any offer of power supply parts

I took the transformer out and to bits last night and had a look at rewinding it and that's a possibility but it's incredibly difficult. It's a ferrite E-core but the bobbin is heavily glued.

The most annoying bit is that the service manual has the winding spec for the primary transformer but not the switching transformer
Old 7th Dec 2017, 8:02 pm   #7
MrBungle
Nonode

Well I got throughly outbid on that. I have however managed to snag a limping Tektronix 2225 for a respectable £20 from someone at work this afternoon so the scope problem is solved but another way to what was expected.
Closed Thread