UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:21 am   #1
Martin Kirsch
Diode

Angry Hacker Hunter RP38A repair.

My beloved Hacker Hunter RP38A was working brilliantly with 2 x PP9 batteries. I then made the mistake of plugging-in a suitable 18V mains adaptor with the relevant attachment lead to the negative pin socket. The speaker made a humming sound, there was a 'crack' and a 'burning' smell when I took-off the back cover and now the radio is 'dead' and will not work even with the 2 x PP9s. The seller has refunded me the price of the adaptor but denies responsibility for 'killing' my radio.

What is the likely fault and where can I get the radio repaired and working again preferably in the London area or suburbs ?
Old 27th Nov 2017, 4:00 pm   #2
astral highway
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Hunter RP38A repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kirsch View Post

What is the likely fault and where can I get the radio repaired and working again preferably in the London area or suburbs ?
Hello, that sounds rough, sorry. Please can you photograph the adapter including any wording on it, especially the voltage rating. Also , please can you take a clear photo of the component side of the circuit board?

Itís likely that the adapter wasnít suitable. If it was an inappropriately high voltage, too much current would pass through components, especially transistors, overheating them catastrophically.

The repair may be more or less complicated, depending on the extent of the destruction.

I am London-based but unable to assess yet whether I could take this on.
Best wishes
Old 27th Nov 2017, 8:17 pm   #3
nebogipfel
Pentode

I'm sure Graham (Radiocruncher on here) would be happy to make an excellent job of your Hunter

https://www.radiocruncher.com/

He's an excellent chap as you will see from his Youtube channel. He's in sunny Torrington Devon (excellent chinese Takeaway ) but is certainly worth the postage cost. The man is very fond of Hacker radios.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 8:30 pm   #4
Radio Tech
Octode

It is likely to be the main output transistors, and most likely a few resistors and even some of the electrolytic capacitors, but without looking at the set it would be hard to give a better view on it.

If you do not succeed in finding someone local to take the job on in putting it right then contact me by pm.

Ken
Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:13 pm   #5
neil24-7
Tetrode

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Hacker's centre pin is negative and most adapters are positive centre pin, could this be the case?
Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:35 pm   #6
Station X

It almost certainly is the case. The OP is seeking someone to repair the radio for him and diagnosing the fault will be part of the repair service.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 5:17 pm   #7
Martin Kirsch
Diode

Thanks for your responses. I attach 'photos of the Hacker Hunter RP38A with the back panel removed. Also, the power adaptor for this model from which you will note that the attachment to the lead has a socket which plugs into the centre negative pin socket on the left-hand side. It was advertised as being correct for this particular model.

I am seeing a local man tomorrow who will have a look at the radio and the power adaptor. He can repair Hacker radios but it's going to cost me £ 100 !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171128_153014.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	153022   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171128_153343.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	153023  
Old 1st Dec 2017, 11:05 am   #8
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebogipfel View Post
I'm sure Graham (Radiocruncher on here) would be happy to make an excellent job of your Hunter
Thanks for the recommendation John.

I’d be happy to have a look at the Hunter. I have a couple of spares sets so should be able to get it up and running for a lot less that £100. I have a fair few sets in for repair at the moment so if you’re not in a rush then message me and I will give you my address for posting.

Regards

Graham
Old 7th Dec 2017, 9:31 am   #9
Martin Kirsch
Diode

Thanks for all your help & recommendations.

The local repair man that I have been to see has examined the radio and adaptor. He has confirmed to me that the adaptor had the wrong lead/socket attached and was the sole cause of 'killing' the radio.

Last edited by Station X; 7th Dec 2017 at 11:15 am. Reason: Forum Rule Compliance.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 1:58 pm   #10
Zinniaritz
Triode

Martin, did you manage to get the radio repaired? If so what was the outcome?
Closed Thread