UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 29th Nov 2017, 6:03 pm   #1
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Hacker Democrat capacitor substitution

Hi Folks.

I am changing some dodgy looking capacitors in the amplifier of a fairly battered Democrat I know valve sets can be fairly forgiving due to wide electrolytic tolerances but not sure about transistor sets? Do you think I would be OK with the following substitutions?

C4 and C8 400uF 10V change to 470uF 10V and C21 40uF 16V to 47uF 16V? I will fit some if they are OK, the old values seem as rare as hen's teeth or very expensive!

Regards, Kev.
Oldelectronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2017, 6:12 pm   #2
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker democrat capacitor substitution

They will do nicely, when it comes to electrolytics anything a bit bigger in both capacity and voltage is OK.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 6:28 pm   #3
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker democrat capacitor substitution

Thank you for that Merlinmaxwell much appreciated And for the general rule about a bit bigger I forgot to mention C2 at 80uf 25v so I assume 100uf 25v which are easy to get hold of would be fine as they seem to be the next easily obtainable new component. 80uf are more difficult and I dont want to use NOS ones.
Thanks once more
Kev

Last edited by Oldelectronics; 29th Nov 2017 at 6:49 pm.
Oldelectronics is offline   Reply With Quote