UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2013, 12:39 pm   #1
Harmonk
Diode

Default PP5 Battery replacement ideas?

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie and though I would ask for some advice on the best way to build a substitute for the obsolete old style cylindrical 9V PP5 battery.

I have a beautiful AERO 6 and don’t want to strap a PP3 on the outside but prefer my radios to be working contained units. Space is limited and my thoughts are turning to modifying a Sony NP-FH30 which will give me 7.2V fully charged which should be enough to power her up! Any other small cylindrical high voltage battery thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Old 26th Oct 2013, 2:22 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: PP5 Battery replacement ideas?

Hi Harmonk and welcome the forum

I can't think of a solution but thought I would post a link to an Aero 6 so others can see your problem.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Oct 2013, 3:23 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

I'm sure you can get NiMH coin cells, seven of which (for 8.4 V) could be stacked up inside a tube of suitable dimensions and an end cap fitted with the appropriate connector on each end.

There are forum members who delight in recreating obsolete batteries for their sets ..... Keep watching this space, and someone is bound to have detailed plans.
Old 26th Oct 2013, 5:16 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Have a look at "The Small Battery Co" web site you may get some more ideas. Years since I used this firm no connection etc.
John.
Old 26th Oct 2013, 10:16 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

It might help to know that the dimensions of the PP5 battery were 47.5 mm × 16 mm × 15 mm. I dare say that with a little ingenuity, a cell holder could be made to hold six either disposable or rechargeable cells to make up 9V, perhaps using 15mm plastic conduit or some such thing. Presumably the PP5 was terminated with PP3 style press-stud connectors, one at each end. If that's so, a dud PP3 would yield the connectors.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 26th Oct 2013, 11:05 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

I don't remember the PP5 at all. I remember the PP4. When I was about 6, my parents had a Decca portable which used two PP4's. They were cylindrical, but were about 7 8ths of an inch in diameter and had the PP9/PP7 style of connectors at either end.

All the best.

Aub
Old 31st Oct 2013, 11:21 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I replaced an H-7D battery that was inside a TEAC mic with 1.5v 625A Micro cells. They were very cheap (20 for 3 quid, I think ) off Ebay. I clamped them and used shrink sleeve to keep them in place. This worked out far cheaper than a proper replacement.

A H-7D is a cylindrical battery approx 2" x 1/2" . Andy.
Old 31st Oct 2013, 5:17 pm   #8
rmslt56
Retired Dormant Member

The PP5 was used by Henrys radio in what I think was their last pocket TRF receiver dating from about 1963.This was a three transistor reflex circuit using tha same case which housed their Minor One dating from about 1957
regards
Doug
Closed Thread