UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2012, 8:28 pm   #81
robin0577
Pentode

Default Re: More old plugs!

@wyvern - yes, you're quite right there are BBC branded MKs around, both in the hard plastic and the "Toughplug" version. I do have examples of both, no intention of parting with them but I'll post pics when I find them.

Until quite recently, maybe 10 years ago, the BBC ones were still stocked by Canford Audio, who had (still have?) a long term supply contract with the BBC. There were certain products in the catalogue, those plugs included, which were marked as being only available for BBC contracts.
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 10:10 pm   #82
Zelandeth
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
I unearthed this one. It's a "MastaAdapta" made by Conblock.
I used to have one with identical looking plugs to that a few years ago. It came attached to an early 80s separates hi-fi system. Was a different profile though, was shaped more like a smaller version of a conventional 4-way extension block, albeit with the sockets on the side rather than the top. Whole thing was translucent dark grey plastic with a neon in one corner. Sadly it had turned incredibly brittle and had to be scrapped a while ago, as it basically fell apart when I attempted to remove it from the stand it was attached to.

Can't remember for the life of me what it was branded as I'm afraid, nor do I have any photos. Didn't really think of it as worthy of much note at the time aside from being a somewhat handy space saver.
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 10:40 pm   #83
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I had one like Z's too, I'm sure it was "Micromark" branded.

Mine was emerald green, and was supplied complete with a long, coiled cable and a 13A slimline Legrand plug (which is at odds with the supposed Micromark branding).

It survived quite well, although all the cord grips in the plugs broke very early on.

Nick.
Old 5th Dec 2012, 12:50 am   #84
Zelandeth
Heptode

Could well have been Micromark. Think the text on it was a beige colour.

Would certainly be interesting to see one again. Can't remember for certain what plug was on it - but I know the plug is still in use, so should be able to find that out this weekend...if I can track down what it's now attached to. That could be fun...
Old 6th Dec 2012, 7:53 pm   #85
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: More old plugs!

Hi,
When I was a kid we had an "auntie" (Mum's cousin really) who was a bit more posh than us council house tenants. They lived in a three storey house which used to have servant's quarters in the attic. But what impressed me was that they had ivory MK plugs and switched sockets! Wow, they must be posh if they could afford ivory plugs!
We had to make do with brown plugs and unswitched sockets.
In recent years I managed to acquire a couple and I've got one on my KB radiogram (in a UK/French adaptor)
Here's a photo of a spare from the "plug box".
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6899.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	73628   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6897.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	73629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6898.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	73630  
Old 6th Dec 2012, 8:16 pm   #86
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Were the ivory/urea formaldehyde versions more expensive than the brown/Bakelite ones, then? The former seem to have survived better, or maybe they were just in production for longer?

Nick.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 9:33 pm   #87
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
Yes, they were a bit dearer. Maybe a tanner or so extra at that time. The MK plugs we had were supplied by the local council when my parents moved in in 1953. Dad bought 'W&G' or 'Rock' plugs from "Woolies" (F.W.Woolworth) as and when he needed them. I've got an MK catalogue from the early 70s here somewhere, I think there might be prices in it. If so, I'll post a few.
Cheers, Pete
Old 6th Dec 2012, 10:33 pm   #88
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I am much more careful about removing these from salvaged plugs than I used to be, now that I have kids
Just whip the fuse out!

I have a couple of Legrand Slimline resiliant plugs, one British Aerospace,and a BBC. I'll see if I can dig them out.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 7:01 pm   #89
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
I'd forgotten I had this. It's a Walsall gauge 13amp plug & socket. I think it was from an EPOS till as it's marked "J.Sainsbury". There's some kind of surge suppressor within the cover that contacts the three terminal screws when the cover is screwed into place. The body moulding allows for double pole fusing if required and the left hand pin is marked L2/N and the right hand is L1.
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6901.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	73671   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6902.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	73672  
Old 8th Dec 2012, 2:32 pm   #90
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Some odd plugs about.

I picked up something the other day, a motor set up using an old round switch, it looks like a terracotta type base with a Bakelite screw on cover, probably not that old.
I still have some round pin plugs about, still common in hotels, also a two pin Bakelite plug ,split pin type, wrap the wires around and hope.
Some bayonet plugs for light sockets, I see them mostly on old electric clocks and even a bayonet light socket ceiling fan.
I wouldn't go as far as collecting plugs, but as I don't throw anything away, I have some about.
Old 8th Dec 2012, 4:11 pm   #91
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

The house I grew up in had plugs similar to the roung pin 15A type but the earth pin was machined so the the socket switch was locked 'off' until a plug was interted and once it was 'on', the plug was locked in place. Very British and very safe!
Old 8th Dec 2012, 4:23 pm   #92
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
Something like these?
The first pic shows a "Tok" rotary switch. The second is a 15amp "Clix" plug (Also available in the smaller 5amp size). The third is a "Wylex" fused clock connector. Fourth is a "D.S." 13amp rated two way adaptor with a machined earth pin and a fuse for a live pin.
The final pic is a general view of the stuff I've accumulated over the years.
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Assorted rotary converters. (22).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	73713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clix 15A plug.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	73714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wylex clock connector (1).jpg
Views:	358
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	73715   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS adaptor (1).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	73718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box of plugs & sockets (4).jpg
Views:	435
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	73719  

Last edited by Tractorfan; 8th Dec 2012 at 4:41 pm.
Old 8th Dec 2012, 11:37 pm   #93
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Nothing like those, Even though I do like the Tok switch.
I had a look on the net and I think the light switch is a old crabtree, all the writing is on the back and as its in use I don't want to pull it off, also the two pin plug is an Ediswan make.
Old 9th Dec 2012, 1:02 am   #94
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

On the subject of TOK switches, there were some in use for lighting in a building that has recently been rewired. I suspected that the electricians might have taken them away to keep or sell along with some of the other fittings, but was disappointed to find fragments of broken switches lying around amongst the debris. I could not work out why the knobs, especially, had been smashed. Then the penny dropped, whoever was tasked with removing them probably didn't figure out how to remove the covers (by pulling the knob against the spring and rotating it) before losing patience and smashing them off the wall.

Lucien
Old 9th Dec 2012, 3:12 am   #95
mickash
Hexode

Smashing them off the wall is probably how a lot of old electrical fittings are removed.
It will be much easier to quickly smash them off with a big hammer than remove the cover screws, then remove the screws holding the fitting to the wall and finally pulling the fitting away from the wall to break any paint seal.
Old 9th Dec 2012, 11:20 am   #96
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
I was given a similar switch as a kid, and it took me ages to figure out how to take the knob off!
Cheers, Pete
Old 11th Dec 2012, 2:41 pm   #97
dominicbeesley
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Just whip the fuse out!
Baby pokes neutral (with 50V on it) and earth in mouth.....really?

When I was about 12 months old I found a stub of cable on a plug, worked out how to plug it in, and grabbed hold of the conductors. I must have been sitting with my feet against the skirting board. My parents came back in the room to find me on the other side of the room next to a baby shaped hole in the plasterboard on the other side of the room! Been hooked on electrics ever since!
Old 11th Dec 2012, 2:44 pm   #98
julie_m
Dekatron

If you've got 50 volts on your neutral wire, something is very wrong somewhere!

In urban areas, the neutral and earth are tied together where the main supply cable comes in from the street (Protective Multiple Earthing).
Old 11th Dec 2012, 2:46 pm   #99
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

True, but Dominic's basic point is valid. What if the socket's miswired, with L and N reversed (not that uncommon)?
Old 11th Dec 2012, 4:04 pm   #100
matthewhouse
Octode

Hello, I have one of those Wylex clock points too, this one has double pole fusing. The live terminals in the socket are easily accessible by unscrewing the threaded stud by hand. The plug however requires a screwdriver to open! The fuse pins are non standard, if normal clock fuses were used they could end up sticking out of the live socket. I do like this compact design, but no thought has been put into safety.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clock.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	73838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	73839  
Closed Thread