UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2012, 8:03 pm   #1
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Who made this radio?

This is a "Good Listening" badged radio that I bought recently. Good Listening, whose head office was less than a mile from where I now live, was a rental company, that latterly concentrated on Sobell TV's, and earlier, had radios built for them in batches.

Typically, they would be models that a maker had discontinued, but would build a batch for GL, who would have their own design of cabinet, either fitted by the set maker, or by others.

This is a conventional superhet, using, UU6 rectifier, then TH41, VP41, HL42DD, Pen45.

The construction appears, to me, to look more pre-war than post, but it must have been made after 1946 as it has Third Programme on the dial.

I am sure that it is based upon, or was, a chassis from a major maker, and the tone control on the back might give a clue as to its identity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gl1.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	69209   Click image for larger version

Name:	gl2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	69210  
Old 30th Jul 2012, 8:59 pm   #2
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Who made this radio?

Hello Alan
Looks very similar to the RI 491/493 Airflow. See Trader sheet 887.

Surprisingly this valve line up was used by several manufacturers up to about 1948.

Roy
Old 31st Jul 2012, 1:05 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Thanks Roy.
That looks a likely suspect.
Old 31st Jul 2012, 4:32 pm   #4
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

Although there were at least 7 sets manufactured post-war with that valve line-up the RI 491/493 seems to be the only one that matches the physical lay-out and coil types.

Surprisingly the Masteradio RG250 seems to have been introduced as late as 1950 with those valves! Perhaps the post-war companies bought up the old RGD and Murphy stocks; they were the two main UK pre-war companies using that valve line-up.

During the war and afterwards, RI were largely sub-contractors. The 491/493 was the last radio chassis marketed under their own brand in about 1948. It would seem that they supplied chassis, if not complete sets to "Good Listening". Perhaps you can compare the cabinets as well as the chassis to obtain a definitive answer?

Best regards, Roy
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 12:30 pm   #5
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Whilst the chassis is the same as the RI Airflow, the cabinet is much different.
(See attached photo.)

Quite a nice looking set, and it sounds superb (now that I have removed all the bodges!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GL1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	69275  
Closed Thread