UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2011, 12:24 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Three Pye B16s to restore.

I intend to restore these receivers to full working order.
The chassis assemblies shown in the foreground are my first priority as they belong to a form member. The complete receivers are mine. On the left side of the picture is a rather beat up Pye and on the right is the Invicta version.
T100?
I know that all three have faulty slider controls so I will have find some alternatives as replacements. Those slider controls apart the B16 is an easy set to get going. Forum member HKShort has reminded me that the Visconol EHT capacitor is almost certainly faulty or will become faulty in use.
I have a replacement supplied from "frag Jan zuerst"

I have not much of the modern stuff to repair so I'd better take the opportunity to sort out some vintage TVs instead. I guess it's all those +65 folks thats doing the LCD TV work.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B16s.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	46323  
Old 7th Feb 2011, 2:05 pm   #2
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Three Pye B16s to restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
I know that all three have faulty slider controls so I will have find some alternatives as replacements.
Hi David
I have replaced one set of D16T sliders, as three were open circuit, with a panel like the one shown. 5W wire-wound pots from Digikey in the US (no connection etc.) and a tufnol panel made to fit the brackets used for the sliders. Does not look original but it works very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pot Panel front.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	46354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pot Panel rear.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	46355  
Old 7th Feb 2011, 9:44 pm   #3
Silviefisch
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Three Pye B16s to restore.

Dear David,

Should you need encouragement + proof that you're doing a great job, look at one of your beauties at Gateshead's Shipley Art Gallery last weekend (fully working, hurray)

See you soon
Silvie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv_small.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	46401  
Old 7th Feb 2011, 9:57 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I have one of those somewhere ...
There are nice little sets ,Take up little room too
Old 7th Feb 2011, 10:18 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviefisch View Post
Dear David,

Should you need encouragement + proof that you're doing a great job, look at one of your beauties at Gateshead's Shipley Art Gallery last weekend (fully working, hurray)
Hi Silvie,

The GEC is giving a good account of itself.

Regards,
David.
Old 7th Feb 2011, 10:32 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Brian,
by fitting those high quality rotary pots as replacements for the front slider controls the problem is solved for good. They are hidden when cover is in place. I've still got the rear pre-sets to sort out though.

Hi Chipp,
They are amazingly small sets when one considers the monster receivers that were around in 1946.
Pye were good making compact TV receivers. The pre-war 815 and 915 chassis were quite compact as well.

DFWB.

It's 9:30 PM. Let's see how much I can get done on the B16 receivers.
Old 7th Feb 2011, 10:41 pm   #7
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hello David.
I am sure you will rattle through the little PYE's with ease. I also like the GEC that you did for Silvie.
Brian that is a nice little paxolin plate and controls you made up.
I also have an idea for the controls in the B16 & 18 models, I have already suggested my idea to David.
I was going to fit pots on a plate either at the bottom or the top of the chassis with the shafts vertical, having the same spacing as the original sliders. A skew thread would be machined into the shafts and the sliders modded with a suitable ball end to engage into the skew gear/thread, sliding the knob up and down will then rotate the control.
Old 7th Feb 2011, 11:58 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The front slider controls appear to be OK. I'll fire up the power unit tomorrow.

DFWB.
Old 8th Feb 2011, 12:14 am   #9
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
by fitting those high quality rotary pots as replacements for the front slider controls the problem is solved for good. They are hidden when cover is in place. I've still got the rear pre-sets to sort out though.
Hi Dave. The panel was made for the rear controls although, as you say, the same method could be used for the front controls. However, the spacing and depth of knobs would be critical due to the window and sliding door.
Old 8th Feb 2011, 11:56 pm   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The power supply unit is very rusty and some of the rubber covered wires need replacement before there is any attempt to connect it to the mains supply. I will use the variac to give the old electrolytic capacitors a chance of survival.
The second and third pictures show the Brimar 6AG6 sound output valve.
The 6AG6 is a direct replacement for the Mullard EL33. The Brimar valve was actually made by Osram.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B16power.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	46453   Click image for larger version

Name:	6AG6-1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	46454   Click image for larger version

Name:	6AG6-2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	46455  
Old 9th Feb 2011, 9:20 am   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello David,
I have two of these fantastic receivers and have owned them for a very long time. Up with the very best if not the best receivers of 1946/47. How they get that brightness from a MW22-7 tube defies me.
Rectifier valves were difficult to obtain immediately after the war and some versions have Mazda UU8 valves and others the Mullard GZ32. The mains transformers usually look like it has been fried with all the wax drippings but this is quite normal and I have never had a failure even when receivers have been stored in very bad conditions. I will 'plug 'em in' before the weekend and take a few pictures. The mains derived EHT is nearer 6kv than 5 on these models, take great care! Easy projects David. I wish you were closer, then we could sort them out together. Regards, John.
Old 7th Mar 2011, 12:21 am   #12
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I have reformed the electrolytics in one of the power supply units.
My favorite method to reform the caps is to supply them from the mains though a series connected 1N4007 diode and a high value resistor, usually 180Kohms. To start the the reforming process for this power supply unit I chose three resistors of 82,000ohms, it took quite a long time for the voltage across the capacitors to come up to 190 volts. For the next stage I connected a 68,000 ohm resistor across each 82K resistor. Again it took quite while for the voltage across each capacitor to reach the indicated 310 volts.

I'm certain that the capacitors are now OK because it takes a long time for them to discharge.
Some people find that this reforming technique is a bit scary, but it works for me.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PyeD16PS.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	47855   Click image for larger version

Name:	PyeD16PS2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	47856   Click image for larger version

Name:	PyeD16PS3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	47857  
Old 7th Mar 2011, 1:25 pm   #13
murphyv310
Dekatron

That looks like a good job to me David, I would suspect the caps are A OK and will be fine once the set is complete.
Closed Thread