UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 5th Oct 2022, 8:58 pm   #3061
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

The HR Avominor came with its little leaflet, but no case. The picture of the case looks as if it was a bit wider than the normal Avominor case, to accommodate a set of leads to the right of the meter.
Old 5th Oct 2022, 9:46 pm   #3062
The Philpott
Dekatron

Phil, this is the unit featured on Richard's Radios' website.

Jeremy, as regards the LRO, an iphone box has to suffice at the moment, but although tough it's less than ideal as the lid is FULL HEIGHT- it's all too easy for someone to pick it up and end up dropping the important bit. Needs elastic round it.
As regards the HR, i have a box with no meter inside it....PM me. No spare leads unfortunately...but they're rubberised so have usually rotted to some extent.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02845.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	265693   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02846.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	265694  
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2022, 1:18 pm   #3063
Barnmead
Pentode

I have been sent a picture of an HRM meter which shows a date of August 1947 (see attached pic). Also on the meter scale is "Part No.10945-36" (lower left) and "V.T. Ltd" (lower right). Is this an earlier instrument than any listed so far?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HRM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	267449  
Old 7th Nov 2022, 6:10 pm   #3064
The Philpott
Dekatron

Early indeed. I noticed that the 5meg range models had a separate number sequence from the 20meg range models. Looks like this is the latter? Believe there were screened models as well, so possibly 4 versions.

Dave
Old 8th Nov 2022, 4:24 am   #3065
steveq1
Diode

Hi,
I'm the one who sent the picture of the HRM to richard; I didn't know of the AVO Multimeter Survey until I got his reply. Anyway, here's a list of my AVO's

mod. 7 s/n 7443-10029
mod. 7 s/n 13418-A-150 metal case
mod. HRM s/n 702-847 (as per Richards previous post)
mod. 8 s/n 71808-C-358
mod. 8 s/n 8641-C-852
mod. 8 III 28486.1165

I also have 2 Mk1 multiminors. No serial numbers, but there are numbers moulded into the interior bakelite (see attachment). What is of interest is the number 40628/1 on BOTH the meter-housing mouldings. This is the same as the serial number given for the only mk1 multiminor listed in edition 4 of the survey (PS are mk1's rare, or people just haven't bothered listed them?)
Anyway, it would seem likely that the number is NOT a s/n, but rather a moulding identification.

Of other interest, I came across a bulletin issued by the British Vintage Wireless Society, Vol 5 No 3 (December 1980). It has a 4-page article titled "History of 'The Avometer'". This was submitted from an AVO employee at the request of the editor. In it, it says The HRM and HR2 were introduced in 1946, so there must be some even older ones than mine out there.

Hope this has been helpful.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221108_115411.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	267658  
steveq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2022, 10:50 pm   #3066
steveq1
Diode

Note to self... "Think BEFORE posting, not during or after"...

If Multiminor Mk1's have no serial numbers, of course they won't be submitted to the survey!!! However...

the moulding numbers might still be useful. For example (see pic in previous post; numbers on the body), one of my meters has

Pt No 50102-A
IMP No 2

and the other

Pt No 50102-A/2
IMP No 6

which probably (possibly/may?) mean that the second meter is later than the first. Building up a catalogue of these numbers may help with relative dating, and other information (purchase dates or other documentation supplied with a meter) may help give approximate date of manufacture.

Steve
steveq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2022, 2:49 pm   #3067
Julesomega
Nonode

Now that Stephen Chellingsworth is no longer with us, this forum seems to be the principal, or even the only way to archive AVO multimeters. I added my AVO 8 models to the Google docs form but I didn't find any way to see what's already there:
Serial No's 9840.C.364.D (Mk II) and 85437 968 (Mk III)

While adding to the form I saw there was at least one digital AVO listed, and I added my AVO DMM under 'other'. I want to ask, are digital AVOs welcome in this Vintage Radio thread, or should I discuss them in the testgear forum?

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2022, 3:03 pm   #3068
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveq1 View Post
Of other interest, I came across a bulletin issued by the British Vintage Wireless Society, Vol 5 No 3 (December 1980). It has a 4-page article titled "History of 'The Avometer'". This was submitted from an AVO employee at the request of the editor. In it, it says The HRM and HR2 were introduced in 1946, so there must be some even older ones than mine out there.

Hope this has been helpful.
It certainly has, thanks Steve.

I wonder if the BVWS would give permission, if approached, for that article to be reproduced here? I for one would like to read it, as I imagine would most contributors to this thread.

If I may be permitted a purely personal view, I feel that this thread should remain predominantly devoted to the analogue range of Avometers. Whilst DMMs have their place, I’m a firm advocate of the analogue multimeter in all branches of fault-finding and repair. Digital meters can confuse the unwary too!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2022, 4:06 pm   #3069
The Philpott
Dekatron

-Tend to agree on analogue meters Phil, but i'm probably biased!
Dave
Old 16th Nov 2022, 4:13 pm   #3070
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Hi Phil,

All the early BVWS Bulletins are freely available via the BVWS website. The issue referred to which contains the AVO historical info is available here https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...letin_05_3.pdf

Hope this helps!

Peter
Peter88gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2022, 5:14 pm   #3071
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Splendid! Thanks Peter. That’s tonight’s reading sorted then!

Dave, I’m with you on analogue meters, but this probably isn’t the place to raise the old analogue versus digital debate, which has been going on since DMMs were invented… It’s possible though that the DMM with its very high input impedance coincided with the need for such high sensitivity in electronics work, plus the fact that a decent DMM was probably far cheaper to make and buy than a VTVM or an electronic multimeter like the Avo EA113, my own favourite.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2022, 5:47 pm   #3072
The Philpott
Dekatron

Totally agree Phil, i'm not going to light the blue touch paper. The best thing is....both. Socks don't work well as shoes and shoes don't make good socks.
D
Old 16th Nov 2022, 9:40 pm   #3073
pmmunro
Octode

[QUOTE=Phil G4SPZ;1514047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveq1 View Post
It was this article which stimulated my interest in Avometers to another level. Interesting as it is, it contains several inaccuracies concerning model details and dates of introduction, such as the introduction of the HRM and HR2.

Through extensive research, especially of advertisements and reviews in the trade press, more accurate dates have been found, at least for the commercial availability of particular instruments.

In fairnes to the author, I suspect that he had limted time to write the article to meet a deadline for a particular event and had to rely on the information to hand at the time.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2022, 6:06 pm   #3074
Sinewave
Octode

Were model 8's shrink wrapped onto a piece of card when they were shipped new?
Old 21st Nov 2022, 8:32 pm   #3075
pmmunro
Octode

If I'm understanding your question correctly, the answer is no.

All those that have come to me in their original packing were supplied in thick, single layer, cardboard cartons, with shallow trays of the same material beneath and at the sides. Two more on top, fitted over the face of the meter, contained leads and clips.

The Model 8 in all its marks was in production from 1951 for around 60 years. I don't think shrink wrapping was in use until, at the earliest, the 1960s, and shrink wrapping to a card doesn't seem very likely for an item of the bulk of an Avometer. I can't imagine them being displayed hanging from a wire carousel.

PMM
Old 21st Nov 2022, 11:05 pm   #3076
Sinewave
Octode

That's interesting, as I recently (in fact maybe a few of us here saw it) saw one shrink wrapped and sold off as new and went for an eye watering amount. As soon as I saw the switch positions, I doubted it was genuine.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 9:30 am   #3077
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwave View Post
That's interesting, as I recently (in fact maybe a few of us here saw it) saw one shrink wrapped and sold off as new and went for an eye watering amount. As soon as I saw the switch positions, I doubted it was genuine.
The switch positions would be unmistakable if it was a Model 8. There were of course several other Avometer models and some people use "Avometer" or even "Avometer Model 8" as generic terms for any multimeter. I would take that to mean the seller doesn't know, or care, much about what they are selling but is probably not very realistic about the true worth of the article. A genuine seller would also show enough photographs for there to be no doubt.

Spare Avometer movements were supplied fixed by two countersunk brass screws, with wooden spacer blocks, to a sheet of hardboard with the whole assembly wrapped in cling film. The outer cardboard box was the same materials as used for complete meters.

PMM
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 12:02 pm   #3078
Superscope
Octode

I assume this is the Meter being spoken about!

It hasn't sold, as the Auction is still running until 13:16 this afternoon.
Unless there was more than one available.

As to whether or not the Avo 8 was ever shrink wrapped onto a Card
of not, I certainly haven't seen it before, but then, I've never had the
opportunity to see a Boxed Avo 8 Mk V, VI or VII.

It looks legit to me, as I have seen equipment from other makers in the
past packed like this.

Looking at the Photos, it looks like the Cardboard it is Shrink Wrapped too,
would fold around the entire Meter and goes inside a regular Avo Box, which
is clearly missing.

Regarding the Switches, it can be seen that the right hand Switch has been
rotated under the Plastic.
Something I have to say, I would find difficult to resist if I owned it, if only
to check they actually rotated.
Looking at the impressions in the Plastic, it was clearly set to the DC/Off
position which one would expect.

Regarding the Price? Why not?
It cost more than it's current Bid price when new, when the £ was actually
worth something.
Find another like that.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it, simply because I wouldn't be able to use or
play with it without destroying it's unique condition.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	268550   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	268551   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	268552   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	268553  
Superscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 6:12 pm   #3079
Sinewave
Octode

Good lord it's still going? When I saw the price I had assumed it had finished for some reason.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 8:28 pm   #3080
pmmunro
Octode

From the photographs, it certainly looks like it might be the original packaging - from 1973.

If it is unopened old stock it would have some rarity value - to anyone who considered this important. Since it is a Model 8 Mark V, this has to be balanced against the merits of the later Model 8 Marks 6 & 7 so it's very much a question of personal views. When last sold, the Model 8 Mark 7 was priced at around £900, but wheteher it was worth that is very subjective.

PMM