UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2022, 9:45 pm   #1
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Bradford museum exhibit changes

Anyone visited the Museum of the Moving Image at Bradford recently?

A friend who visited last week said he was horrified to find that most of the early TV exhibits (including Baird's Televisor, and 1950's TVs) that he had seen on his previous visit a decade earlier, were no longer on display. He said he was sufficiently concerned at their absence to speak to a manager, who apparently said they had been removed because children didn't relate to them. His comment that surely a purpose of a museum was to show the public how technology had developed, apparently cut no ice.

However, it seems that the hands-on working exhibits of early video games that I remembered from my visit around 12 years ago, are still there.

Last edited by emeritus; 18th Sep 2022 at 9:47 pm. Reason: typos
Old 18th Sep 2022, 10:25 pm   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Bradford museum exhibit changes

I visited the museum 3 years ago and was disappointed by not what I saw but what I didn't see. Most of the museum has been dumbed down. All the early TV stuff had been replaced by stuff to keep the kids amused.

The most interesting part was actually the photographic section in the lower part of the museum where there were real exhibits. At least that hasn't changed.....yet.

Keith
Old 18th Sep 2022, 10:45 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

The photographic section essentially consts of the former Kodak museum, the contents of which were donated to Bradford when Kodak closed its own museum at Harrow in 1984.
Old 18th Sep 2022, 11:37 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

As is the way, I live fairly close but only visit occasionally. Last time was to see the Soyuz space capsule. The TV exhibits were there then, but the clue may be in the gradual rebranding of the museum. The permanent public exhibits are oriented more towards media than science, and in a relatively small city public appeal is more attractive than pure history.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 9:53 am   #5
beamcurrent
Heptode

Hello There is ( or was 2017 ) a reserve collection of television equipment in a large back room. This could be viewed if you contacted them before your visit and arranged a time when a member of staff was available to show you round.

The attached picture was taken in 2015.

I am very unhappy with the need of museums to have "footfall" to justify their funding, which leads to the current lack of serious exhibits as you might hope to see.

Their website is much better and has many virtual exhibits. Have a look round https://collection.sciencemuseumgrou...card-generator

I have one of these in my collection except it makes a Eurovision logo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9841.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	264937  

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:33 am   #6
sortedradio
Heptode

In September 2018 I was lucky enough to be invited to an unofficial private tour of the basement, where the "interesting stuff" is stored. It was strictly hands off, but photographs were allowed. Towards the end of 2019 I was looking into the possibility of an official viewing with a group of interested people, and the museum seemed open to the idea. Of course then Covid arrived and ruled that out! I will see if it's still a possibility.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	264938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	264939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	264940   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4294.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	264941   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	264942  

Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:34 am   #7
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
Hello There is ( or was 2017 ) a reserve collection of television equipment in a large back room. This could be viewed if you contacted them before your visit and arranged a time when a member of staff was available to show you round.

The attached picture was taken in 2015.

I am very unhappy with the need of museums to have "footfall" to justify their funding, which leads to the current lack of serious exhibits as you might hope to see.

Their website is much better and has many virtual exhibits. Have a look round https://collection.sciencemuseumgrou...card-generator

I have one of these in my collection except it makes a Eurovision logo!
Hi Brian, I am not a TV collector but I do like that set in the bottom LH corner of you piccy... is it a TV plus Radio ?
Rog
Old 19th Sep 2022, 2:09 pm   #8
beamcurrent
Heptode

Hi Rog looking at the original I can just see it's a Sony set and I don't think it is a radio/TV I can also make out a clock in the control group.

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 19th Sep 2022, 2:20 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Looks like one of these, Sony TV plus Betamax VCR:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_v...r_lv_1901.html

Paul
Old 19th Sep 2022, 3:17 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

Yes, sadly I can understand how the need to demonstrate sufficient footfall to maintain funding when money is tight would affect what gets displayed. Signing up to my evening class last month involved not just form-filling, but the production of residency entitlement evidence and identity (driving licence or passport), apparently required to ensure that the local authority would get government funding.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 3:40 pm   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

I wouldn't mind but on quite a few occasions of watching kids use interactive displays at exhibitions and the like, they're often mistreating it. I don't think a lot of these interactive displays achieve their goal of educating and informing, kids see them more as some kind of game to get rough with, and then walk by the real stuff as if it's not there, or similarly if it's accessible, bang on it. Then again, are their parents not trying to educate them as they view the exhibits? many aren't. Sad but true of an increasingly large section of the population who get their kicks below the waistline and seemingly have little time for education, hobbies and interests. Yours, Mr Angry, Rugeley.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 6:33 pm   #12
alfatangowhisky
Pentode

I last went, oooh, 25 years ago maybe when there were many Tim Hunkin designed interactive exhibits (I particularly liked the CRT with a scrubbed off patch of phosphor in the centre where you could steer the electron beam with a couple of potentiometers and watch it disappear when it went into the 'void' - I wonder how they made it? Just left a high-intensity unfocussed beam burn off the phosphor in the centre?).

My most recent museum visit was to the National Space Centre and as rightly summarised, the interactive exhibits got 90% of the attention whereas the actual displays of flown space paraphanalia got a couple of seconds glance by the parents who then moved on to the next flashing lights and LCD screens without even reading the information cards or standing a while and pondering what was actually infront of them.

But what do we need museums for anyway... we have Wikipedia !?
Old 20th Sep 2022, 8:54 am   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Though we're only about ten miles from there, last time we went was about twelve years ago and it had really been dumbed down then, so we'll not bother going again. London's Science Museum is much better!

Alan, seeing them on Wiki isn't the same as being able to watch things in person
Old 20th Sep 2022, 11:09 am   #14
PaulM
Hexode

The 'demise' of the TV side of the Bradford museum was one of the things that inspired us to form the Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group (BECG) and to establish our own museum building (owned by the BECG). This last weekend was our first trial opening under the national Heritage Open Days scheme. It went very well and there's some pictures in this thread here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...99#post1500799

As a taster, here's a couple more pictures (taken by Dave Higginson).

Telecine machines (5 more yet to be delivered!)
Roland Rat's TV-AM Marconi MkIX TV camera

Best regards,

Paul M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	265005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	265006  
Old 20th Sep 2022, 11:26 am   #15
emeritus
Dekatron

When opened in 1980, it was called the " National Museum of Photography, Film and Television". I see that its name is now the "National Science and Media Museum", no doubt reflecting the reduced prominence of its TV exhibits.
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 12:23 am   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

Dumbing down museums (for apparently no good reason as showing old stuff is the main goal of a museum anyway) seems sort of a pandemic that has been going on for years, maybe decades by now. Teyler's museum in Haarlem, The Netherlands (nevertheless much recommended!) did the same, with many items of the permanent exhibition gone missing, presumably "for a cleaner look". Even a friendly question to the then director (who only a few minutes before had invited everyone to ask questions, but was already trying to sneak out) as to why some items that would provide a link between old and new weren't included in a theme exhibition made her quite snappy, as if she had had that discussion before...
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 12:34 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

Bear in mind that this museum, although part of the Science Museum, was created during the drive to decentralise the UK. It isn't on the scale of the London museums, being in a medium sized post industrial city. It also suffers from having no on-site car parking and poor rail connectivity, although next year's city of culture events should help with footfall.
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 1:22 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Bear in mind that this museum, although part of the Science Museum, was created during the drive to decentralise the UK. It isn't on the scale of the London museums, being in a medium sized post industrial city. It also suffers from having no on-site car parking and poor rail connectivity, although next year's city of culture events should help with footfall.
But how does that impact on the OP's concern that was based on: "A friend who visited last week said he was horrified to find that most of the early TV exhibits (including Baird's Televisor, and 1950's TVs) that he had seen on his previous visit a decade earlier, were no longer on display. He said he was sufficiently concerned at their absence to speak to a manager, who apparently said they had been removed because children didn't relate to them. His comment that surely a purpose of a museum was to show the public how technology had developed, apparently cut no ice."

The issue being about a choice of exhibits on display.
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 1:45 pm   #19
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Make of this this what you will.
https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news...-agents-change
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 3:57 pm   #20
TonyDuell
Dekatron

If it's associated with the London Science Museum, then that probably explains it.

Said musuem is dumbed-down beyond belief. The last couple of times I visited I left almost in tears due to the lack of science (or engineering) on display, the poor (and sometimes downright wrong) descriptions of the exhibits, and my memories of how good it was 40-50 years ago.
Closed Thread