UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2021, 7:45 am   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard motor

If it's not a massive difference, could one motor be synchronous and the other a squirrel-cage induction motor (which has to run below synchronous speed)?
Old 11th Apr 2021, 3:09 pm   #22
Michael Maurice

These are pictures of the motors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E244CDA-AE88-40DA-BFD1-3F5EE5B9F03F.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	231478

This one is the replacement motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09220A47-5894-46C2-9EAA-6FE0C926D81C.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	231479 Click image for larger version

Name:	17BFBF0B-8840-428B-AD67-CDA206AE6A49.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	231480

These are of the original motor.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 11th Apr 2021, 3:56 pm   #23
analogadikt
Tetrode

So my theory gets tossed in the Thames as both the motors are 4 pole, so should turn at identical rpm.

The only suggestion that I can offer now is to connect the replacement motor directly at the wall socket. I have read reply #6 but that did not mention where the "direct to mains" point is, inside the gram cabinet or on the wall.
This is the only suggestion that I have at the moment as it would confirm if there is any issue with the replacement motor or the supply point in the gram.

Edit : What is the voltage rating stamped on the bottom bearing of the replacement motor? Dual voltage or single voltage?

Regards,

Anwesh

Last edited by analogadikt; 11th Apr 2021 at 4:07 pm.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 5:22 pm   #24
Michael Maurice

Thanks Anwesh, the motor is stamped 110 200-250V, 40 - 80 Hz he original motor is also dual voltage. I may try another type later tonight.

Old 17th Apr 2021, 11:08 pm   #25
Trevor
Octode

Garrad motors from the later period ran synchronous by virtue of the fact that they were fitted with a ceramic circular magnet on the rotor . when the motor was required to do some work it then relied on the caged roter
This being the case the stepped pulley would be of a different diameter to the earlier
motor
Trev
Old 18th Apr 2021, 9:17 am   #26
analogadikt
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Garrad motors from the later period ran synchronous by virtue of the fact that they were fitted with a ceramic circular magnet on the rotor . when the motor was required to do some work it then relied on the caged roter
This being the case the stepped pulley would be of a different diameter to the earlier
motor
Trev
That is the Synchro-Labâ„¢ motor which came much later and was seen on the SL, AP series automatic turntables.
The original and the replacement motor tried here are pre 1960 pure induction motors.

Regards,

Anwesh
Old 18th Apr 2021, 12:45 pm   #27
nicam49
Hexode

Hi, I've not looked back to check... but wasn't there a thread in the not too distant past where the 2 motor windings were connected out of phase so the mag field wasn't of sufficient strength..... ��
Old 20th Apr 2021, 9:55 am   #28
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Garrard motor

Hi,
I have a Garrard RC80 autochanger.
The motor would run fine from cold, but then it began buzzing and getting hot after a time.
I found that one of the coils was going dead short when it warmed up.
Fortunately, I was able to strip it down and send the two coils off to Ed Dinning to be rewound. He did a splendid job, and it runs lovely now.
Thanks Ed!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 7:36 pm   #29
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Pete, thanks for the praise. In the particular motor being discussed here the coils had been wound on a jig and the fitted to the motor stack, sdo without trying to make a jig it was a no-no

Ed
Old 20th Apr 2021, 9:46 pm   #30
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
Hi, I've not looked back to check... but wasn't there a thread in the not too distant past where the 2 motor windings were connected out of phase so the mag field wasn't of sufficient strength..... ��

You were right. I reversed the connections to one of the coils and it started working perfectly.

Now to the next horrible one a Beogram 1000.

Closed Thread