UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2021, 4:10 pm   #541
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Thanks for the replies regarding Southern Surplus, it was a long time ago and I was just getting into all things electrical but it sounds as if I remembered their name correctly. I could easily have got their precise location wrong. I was a regular at Watts radio but that would have been late 1950's and early 1960's. I did make the odd visit later than that and after they closed one of the staff opened a shop near Hampton Court bridge.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 12:31 pm   #542
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Whilst replying to a Grundig tk5 thread just now, it reminded me of a supplier we had call at our tv shop.
I think his name was G. Liebich?
He had what was a bit like a horse box/ furniture removal lorry. Entrance was by rear steps. He had surplus components as well as new iirc.
He supplied our Mullard mustard capacitors.
I remembef buying some ht electrolytics, branded "Pitrie".
Strange how you remember some names.
Anyone else remember him? We were based in Peterborough and he visited fortnightly i think.
Rob
Old 13th Feb 2021, 2:01 pm   #543
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the 70s and 80s there was a place called either A.H. Supplies or A.H. Surplus in Sheffield - rhey used to advertise in Practical Wireless and I bought quite a bit of 'stuff' from them [19-set headset/mic assemblies, a couple of really-nicely-made ex-military BFO modules, a RACAL crystal-tester, some DC power-units etc].

I wonder what became of them?

[they were, as far as I know, entirely unconnected with A.H. Thacker of Cheslyn Hay staffs, but someone may know different].
Old 13th Feb 2021, 4:38 pm   #544
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
In the 70s and 80s there was a place called either A.H. Supplies or A.H. Surplus in Sheffield - rhey used to advertise in Practical Wireless and I bought quite a bit of 'stuff' from them [19-set headset/mic assemblies, a couple of really-nicely-made ex-military BFO modules, a RACAL crystal-tester, some DC power-units etc].

[they were, as far as I know, entirely unconnected with A.H. Thacker of Cheslyn Hay staffs, but someone may know different].
A. H. Thacker was always known - at least locally - as just 'Thackers'. As you say, I'm sure there's no connection, just a coincidence of the first two initials.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 2:59 pm   #545
Mach One
Heptode

This might mean something to somebody:

My daughter sent me the attached picture. She lives in Hornchurch, Essex, and thought that I might like to see the old shop front that the picture shows. I don't know Hornchurch and certainly have no information on the trader in the picture but - oh to be able to go back and have a look inside!

The Geographical coding on the picture says, "North Street, Heath Park, Hornchurch."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hornchurch North Street Heath Park.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	228658  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 3:59 pm   #546
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:

A. H. Thacker was always known - at least locally - as just 'Thackers'. As you say, I'm sure there's no connection, just a coincidence of the first two initials.
What a rabbit warren of stuff Thackers was! I still remember my first trip – got my father to take me – just realised this would be bang on fifty years ago now. Yesterday I was effecting a quick repair to a neighbour’s fence that had fallen over and I used a length of old rope to tie up a post. I remembered it as the remains of a rigging kit that came with an ex-army sectional mast I bought at Thacker’s on that very trip.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 5:04 pm   #547
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach One View Post
This might mean something to somebody:

My daughter sent me the attached picture. She lives in Hornchurch, Essex, and thought that I might like to see the old shop front that the picture shows. I don't know Hornchurch and certainly have no information on the trader in the picture but - oh to be able to go back and have a look inside!

The Geographical coding on the picture says, "North Street, Heath Park, Hornchurch."
Have a look at this found from a quick Google!!

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=606B3512
Old 9th Mar 2021, 2:11 pm   #548
Mach One
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Have a look at this found from a quick Google!!

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=606B3512
Now I'm feeling rather stupid: My daughter says she found it and some other interesting pictures on the "same website as that photo" - but I didn't find it at all with any reasonable search terms that I used? May I ask what you used?
Old 9th Mar 2021, 2:26 pm   #549
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I’m amused by seeing that the only shop with shutters is the Fruiterer’s.

Cleary a bunch of bananas was more highly prized by the local smash and grab artists than a new telly or a box of fags.

(Yes, I remember fruit and veg shops often had an open area! )
Old 6th Apr 2021, 5:38 pm   #550
Superhet Si
Pentode

Default Re: TV Radio repair shop in Peterborough circa 70's

I remember Watts Radio in Kingston. Bought my Antex iron there. And you had to pass the coffee shop on the way there. Oh the smell of ground Coffee!
Old 7th Apr 2021, 11:13 am   #551
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhet Si View Post
I remember Watts Radio in Kingston. Bought my Antex iron there. And you had to pass the coffee shop on the way there. Oh the smell of ground Coffee!
Which Kingston is that? There are several in the UK.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 11:58 am   #552
Restoration73
Nonode

Well it did run adverts in Practical Wireless in the 1950's and 60's - Kingston Upon Thames

One of the employees decided to set up his own independent shop selling hi-fi which was
called Surbiton Park Radio which also ran adverts in PW. It closed in 1995.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 3:50 pm   #553
Jez1234
Banned

Bond and Mason of Church Road, Stockton on Tees was my local Aladdin's cave and component supplier when I was a teenager (long time ago!). They were extant until maybe mid 1990's IIRC. I seem to recall that the shop became a double glazing supplier... but even that recollection is now going back maybe 20 years or more!
Old 7th Apr 2021, 11:19 pm   #554
AndyMor
Triode

Angry Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:

Indeed, I remember AH Supplies , I was a teenager at school , keen on radio and valve electronics , an interest I got from my dad. I bought some good things from them , with pocket money from mending tv’s in a local shop. I remember a Marconi TF144G ( huge heavy and beautifully made sig gen that I recall worked quite well) and a huge 19 inch rack regulated HT psu. A few quid each I think. I sold them when I left home☹️
Old 8th Apr 2021, 8:45 am   #555
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhet Si View Post
Which Kingston is that? There are several in the UK.
The aroma from the Coffee Shop tells me it is Kingston Upon Thames.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 12:32 pm   #556
Station X

Confusion arose because post #551 was originally in a thread about a radio shop in Peterborough. There is a Kingston in Cambridgeshire, but it's nowhere near Peterborough.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 12:41 pm   #557
snowman_al
Octode

Glad this thread is still going. I've been clearing some old documentation and found items from here.

Anyone remember ''Centre Electronics'', 345 Stockfield Road , Yardley in Birmingham.
A real Aladdin's cave and many a lunch hour spent there in the 90s when I worked at the NEC. Just cannot remember the guy's name, might have been Howard?

Alan
Old 8th Apr 2021, 3:24 pm   #558
Reelman
Octode

Only went to Centre Electronics a couple of times but picked up a couple of the 38 set junction boxes which are very rare. Seem to remember it as a house converted into a shop, you just wandered around the various small rooms.
Sad to think that we will never see their like again..... where is that time machine!
Peter
Old 8th Apr 2021, 7:07 pm   #559
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Out of interest, my Bush VHF81 has a gold label on the back saying:

"Serviced by F. Woolgar (Medway) Ltd
170A High Street
Gillingham
Kent ME7 1AJ"

and the date 24/7/75

Looking at the address using Google Street View suggests it is the "Southern Belle" pub, but also shows a reference that it is a private house having last been sold in 2006.

Anyone know anything about this company?
Old 9th Apr 2021, 2:02 pm   #560
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
Glad this thread is still going. I've been clearing some old documentation and found items from here.

Anyone remember ''Centre Electronics'', 345 Stockfield Road , Yardley in Birmingham.
A real Aladdin's cave and many a lunch hour spent there in the 90s when I worked at the NEC. Just cannot remember the guy's name, might have been Howard?

Alan
Hi Alan,

His name is Howard Turner, and he still lives locally to where his shop was.
A very old friend of mine, and I was one of his regulars. I don't live in Birmingham now,
but I recently had a long telephone conversation with him,
and he still has one or two radios! It only seems like yesterday that the
shop closed, but it must be the best part of 20 years. How time flies!

Kind regards
Dave G0ELJ
Closed Thread