UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2019, 11:10 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Interference to Radio Caroline on 648 KHZ

Hi.
Has anyone experienced interference to Radio Caroline on 648 Khz? It is intermittent crackling that seems to be more noticeable on further down the dial. I do not think that my radio is at fault (Bush VHF61). This interference seems to be a recent thing.
regards
Mike
Old 4th Jun 2019, 9:38 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Interference to Radio Caroline on 648 KHZ

Hello Mike

I suppose the way to decide if its on the transmission or local, is to see if it( the crackle) can be nulled out on a portable.

Plenty of crackle at the moment, due lightening static.
Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:06 am   #3
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I noticed very high levels of lightning static last night on the long Wave Band and the lower half of the medium wave band. It was from a band of intense storms stretching from NE France, east Kent parts of Belgium and Holland which slowly tracked east across north Germany towards Denmark. They must have been rather lively as they were putting out some very strong signals.
Reception should be better today or at least until more thunderstorms start breaking out.
Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:57 am   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Yes. Check it here
http://en.blitzortung.org/live_light...aps.php?map=10
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:31 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

To eliminate the possibility of local interference it helps, to have another receiver some distance away.

for example:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

It needs Java if it's not already installed, and if you use the Chrome browser, a slight configuration change is needed.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 7:50 am   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Thats an awesome website!

Peter
Old 6th Jun 2019, 9:54 am   #7
Julesomega
Nonode

Just in case anyone doesn't know, lightningmaps.org is a wonderful resource. It is constantly updated and shows all air to ground strikes from the past 10 minutes. It is zoomable (scrollwheel or button) from global to street level, has an optional click for every strike, and if you zoom in within a few miles, will tell you when you will hear the thunder, with a latency of only a couple of seconds which is displayed onscreen.

It runs from amateur lightning station holders and is very accurate in Western Europe and N America, while other continents do not show any lightning, unlike Blitzortung

It's good here
Old 7th Jun 2019, 9:51 am   #8
ionburn
Heptode

I use the crackles almost as a weather forcast to let me know if there are storms roundabout.

I must admit though that local interference is the biggest issue, now that the summer is here and the foreign stations are not interfering much with Caroline in my normal listening time. I do find it useful to have two aerials wired up, one being a frame and the other wire, so that I can instantly switch when someone locally fires up some interfering item.
Old 13th Jun 2019, 9:02 am   #9
telstar
Octode

Hi.
The crackling effect is on everyday, but not constantly. The reception of Radio Caroline can be heard in the back ground. It may be local to where I live?
regards
Mike
Old 13th Jun 2019, 11:13 am   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Over the last few days there has been a lot of lightning activity especially if not over the UK to the East of the UK across the North Sea and into Europe. This means that where you are in Yorkshire you are probably getting stronger ground wave signals from the lightning thanks to the low loss sea crossing than you are from Caroline.
I use to notice the same effect when I lived in West Cornwall with storms over Northern France causing lots of interference to both the weak Radio 1 signal on 247m and Radio 3 on 464m . The latter used to upset the cricket fans.
Closed Thread