UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2019, 8:12 am   #1
PMurrills
Triode

Default Columbia Stereogram 5396 - When was it made?

Hello,

This is my first post here so please be gentle!

I bought a stereogram last year, and despite it being made of melamine-faced MDF I truly love it.

The model number is 5396 - it came with all original paperwork, spare styli etc and is in excellent overall condition. The only thing I really want to know is the year it was manufactured, and I can't seem to find this information out.

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but it niggles me constantly! If anyone out there is able to shed some light on this rather unimportant trifle I would be forever grateful.

Many thanks in advance, and thanks for having me

Just in case you wanted to see the thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50103891_10156734681050993_5358570922712236032_n.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	176392  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 9:45 am   #2
rontech
Heptode

Default Re: Columbia Stereogram 5396 - When was it made?

A quick google search for "Columbia Stereogram 5396" gave a date of 1960.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 9:49 am   #3
PMurrills
Triode

Yes, I've seen that but I don't think that's reliable, it's a listing for one for sale and on one hand it says '1960', then further in the listing it states '1960's' so I can't be sure 1960 is the actual year of manufacture.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:33 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

The original papers probably are dated.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:42 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Yes, look for any copyright dates. Failing that, some components were dated- back then probably only large can type capacitors. Either source of date won't say when it was actually made, though, just a date before which it couldn't have been. You might possibly find a dated test sticker or the like inside.

A close up pic of the record deck may help- it looks later than 1960 to me.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 14th Jan 2019 at 11:52 am.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:43 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Your Radiogram (Stereogram) comes from 1967/68. It's all transistor and was made by Thorn using their rarely used rights to the Columbia brand. I can't quite see enough detail, but the autochanger might be a Garrard 3000. If it is, that's a good deck.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:02 pm   #7
PMurrills
Triode

The turntable is a BSR C129 I believe. Can't get a closeup as I'm at work at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Your Radiogram (Stereogram) comes from 1967/68. It's all transistor and was made by Thorn using their rarely used rights to the Columbia brand. I can't quite see enough detail, but the autochanger might be a Garrard 3000. If it is, that's a good deck.
Edward - thank you for that information, where did you find it? Sadly not a Garrard table, BSR... but it works right enough
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:50 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Your Radiogram (Stereogram) comes from 1967/68. It's all transistor and was made by Thorn
Yes, I pretty much agree that this is late 60s, possibly even 1970. The earlier post stating 1960 is a good example of how a google search often throws up nonsensical information put on line by others who don't really know the answer, then someone finds it and passes it on, and on - and so it goes. I've seen that radio control panel in other radiograms, possibly Alba, from around the same date. As said, the instruction book may well have a print date code somewhere, possibly at the bottom of the rear cover.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:27 pm   #9
PMurrills
Triode

Thanks for helping out with this, very grateful for your input. I've checked the paperwork and couldn't find any dates, unless there is some kind of code I need to decipher somehow. I haven't actually opened it up and looked inside the back of the unit because I'm not electronically minded but I may well have a butchers this week and see if anything is there which will give me a certain date.

On a side note - the power/volume and tone control dials are a bit scratchy when turned (audible from speakers) and the tone control in particular seems to drift in and out of wherever it's set to. Is there something simple to remedy these issues, perhaps a simple clean will help?
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:43 pm   #10
paulsherwin

It certainly has a late 60s look to it, so Edward is probably correct.

You should clean all the controls and switches with contact cleaner such as Servisol 10 (not ordinary WD40). Squirt some inside through a hole or gap.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 8:10 am   #11
PMurrills
Triode

Thanks again everyone for your input on this, you've all been very helpful. Took a couple of pics of the TT and the back of the paperwork so thought I'd share in case it gives any extra info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	176457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	176458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	176459  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 9:42 am   #12
vidjoman
Dekatron

Dated 5.72 on the book. That's the publication date of the book.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 9:45 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

At the same time Thorn were turning out loads of other models of stereograms under their Ferguson brand. It's highly likely that it shares a chassis with one of them. Photos of the controls/tuning scale and of the insides may help someone recognise what you have.

David
Old 15th Jan 2019, 9:55 am   #14
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Dated 5.72 on the book. That's the publication date of the book.
Indeed. That's very late for a British made stereogram.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:10 am   #15
PMurrills
Triode

I didn't even register that as being a date - how stupid do I feel. That does sound late, could it be a later reprint? Seems unlikely. However I'm of the understanding that 'British Radio Corporation' was renamed as 'Thorn Consumer Electronics' in 1970. The more you find out, the more confusing things become!

@ Paul Sherwin - you mentioned Servisol as a means to clean the switches and knobs - do you know the best way to do that? Do I need to try and remove the knobs and spray down into them from the outside? Apologies for all the questions, I'm a massive novice
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:22 am   #16
paulsherwin

You need to get the cleaner into the internal moving parts of the controls. Spraying it on the outside will achieve nothing.

If you really have zero expertise with these things, it may be better to pay a professional to service it for you. A number of forum members offer restoration services and could do the work.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:38 am   #17
PMurrills
Triode

I have a guy locally who runs a TV repair shop, but also deals with vintage audio equipment. I can contact him and find out if he could give it the once over, not sure if he does home visits though and it's a bit of a lump to drag round to his shop. Thanks for suggesting though, I'll see what he says.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 11:02 am   #18
ben
Dekatron

Definitely early 70s. That c129 deck with plastic arm was typical of the period, mostly used in lower end stuff like fidelity. It was the successor to the UA25. They changed the model prefix from UA to C around that time, I do have the date in a book somewhere.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 11:31 am   #19
PMurrills
Triode

Thanks Ben, yeah it's not the best turntable, no doubt about that haha! I think it might be a C109 though, rather than C129 but whatever. It plays my old records pretty well, but if I put any modern electronica on it (Leftfield for example) it literally can't cope with the low end at all!
Old 15th Jan 2019, 12:03 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

Sorry, you're quite right, I did mean c109!

You could always upgrade it to a c141R, or MA70, which have better arms and antiskate and should play pretty much anything. The deck cutout is the same so it'd be a drop-in swap. You'd have to check that the motor does not supply the AC for the amp though, which was sometimes the case. Unlikely in a radiogram but you never know.
Closed Thread