UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 13th Oct 2018, 6:59 pm   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: New old stock boxed and unopened 60's television

I take the entirely-opposite view to Brian's: not liking museum-piece "there-to-be-gazed-at-with-reverantial-admiration-despite-it-not-working" stuff, I'd happily slice-open the old boxes, do a quick check for obvious known-not-to-age-well parts, replacing if any are sighted, then show it mains and some locally-generated video.

To me, anything which doesn't work-like-it-was-intended-to-when-it-was-made is just a horrible set-in-aspic pastiche which does nothing to celebrate the *zeitgeist* of its creators.

[I also hate 'classic' cars and old shotguns that have been restored to better-than-new but are then never again used in the way their designers intended].

Get them out of the packaging, clean them up, and get an image on the screen!!! Don't leave stuff to your inheritors, enjoy it for yourself, now!
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:11 pm   #42
The Philpott
Octode

As long as a photographic (and why not a video?) record were kept and circulated i tend to agree with G6Tanuki. The risk factor associated with using an aircraft, car or victorian brooch for it's intended purpose isn't really there with this television set- all we would be doing is exposing it to is fresh air.

Now selling the thing is quite something else-- the only way i can think of that the seller and buyer are virtually quaranteed satisfaction is if both are present and the seller carefully de-boxes it for examination. If someone chooses to buy it 'sealed' then it looks very much like 'buyer beware' to me, with no recourse if the contents have deteriorated.
The safest thing to do, perhaps, is for someone to buy both the boxed and the unboxed one..

I would like to see how this turns out!

Dave
The Philpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:37 pm   #43
slidertogrid
Heptode

The set is VHF only, the UHF aerial socket is not fitted and the UHF tuner space is empty you can just see the bracket that holds the spindle that the knob is fitted to. the original UHF tuner was quite small and fitted in the space above the VHF one.
It also looks as if the trim or "brights" are missing from the two small knobs at the bottom they are small half moon trims and often become unstuck.

I have been looking for a 19" example of one of these for years I have a 23" version and a 19" Sobell version with a grey front.

The reason I want one is because I got my grandad a 19" Blue front GEC for his holiday caravan in the mid 70's. It had a rough old time what with the condensation and the mains voltage that went down to 200 volts when everyone had their fires and cookers going.

So he could use it during the low mains periods I fitted a switch on the side that bypassed a couple of sections on the dropper. the problem was that he would forget to switch it back when the mains came back up.
This resulted in many failures and finally the tube heater went open, the neck was almost black by the tube base.

As it had caused me so much trouble I took great delight in taking it to the tip and dispatching it with a lump of masonry...
I would love to buy this set if it could be got anywhere near Peterborough...
And yes I wouldn't hesitate to (carefully) open the box!
slidertogrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:49 pm   #44
malvision
Tetrode

The question is ,is there a mummy underneath the bandages
malvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:12 am   #45
1100 man
Heptode

Not that this thread is supposed to be about the rights or wrongs of whether we would open the box, but for what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly with G6 Tanuki!! I could not express it better!
If it came my way, I would not think twice about opening the box and returning the set within to full working order! I might even keep the box!

All the best
Nick
1100 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:03 am   #46
AC/HL

Going back to the original post, this was in a packaging museum so it's status as a sealed box is fair enough. It's eventual destination will likely have a different purpose, where a cardboard box will likely hold little interest. If the TV is to be displayed, as distinct from the packaging, perhaps a perspex box would be more relevant?
As stated above though, the object of the exercise is really to sell it.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:15 am   #47
Boulevardier
Pentode

But, according to the seller, the object of the exercise is to sell it to a television collector in the fervent hope that he/she will never open the box, and thus never actually encounter the television inside it!! It's a bit weird to imagine that a TV collector would go down this road... A bit like selling a sealed envelope with (allegedly) rare stamps inside it to a stamp collector, and specifying that they shouldn't ever open it. Surely it would be more appropriate to advertise it on a forum for packaging freaks, since they will at least be getting something they can appreciate.

Mike
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 8:10 am   #48
John M0GLN
Heptode

If the site's 1823 active members all put in 13p each we could have a look.

John
John M0GLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 8:46 am   #49
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's basically a Sobell 1018 with a few bits missing. John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 9:04 am   #50
Sideband
Dekatron

If the OP has a packaging museum (first post), the answer is simple....he keeps the original packaging and a TV collector takes the TV.....
Old 14th Oct 2018, 9:42 am   #51
GrimJosef
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
It's a bit weird to imagine that a TV collector would go down this road... A bit like selling a sealed envelope with (allegedly) rare stamps inside it to a stamp collector, and specifying that they shouldn't ever open it.
Or a bit like buying and selling really old wine but not actually drinking it. Oh, hang on, isn't that what really old wine people actually do ?

Turning to your stamps, G6Tanuki et al wouldn't be able to see the point of them if they weren't licked, stuck onto this year's Christmas cards and dropped into a pillar box. We each have our own view I suppose. I'm afraid the fate of the dodo was due mostly to the attitude of people who felt that they were there to be eaten, and if they couldn't be eaten then what was the point of them. They don't care that we no longer have dodos either, except that they now have to find something else to eat.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 14th Oct 2018, 10:50 am   #52
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Or a bit like buying and selling really old wine but not actually drinking it.GJ
Ah but if you drink the vintage wine it is gone forever whereas this TV will still exist if it's unboxed.

Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:06 am   #53
Neil Purling
Octode

I would consider it to be acceptable to open the box, making a full record of the proceedings on video and with a still camera.
Then record the state of the TV, both inside and outside on the best quality recording media.

I would consider showing it some volts but on a Variac, building the voltage slowly to allow the PSU capacitors to re-form. If they didn't want to come back, leave it alone. If you get a raster, give it a signal, which would have to be from a generator. Record the result, then switch it off.
Put the back on again and let it slumber peacefully in its original packaging. You have the record you made to pack it exactly the way it was.

We do have the benefit of knowing the likely outcome as with the other TV. But was any video or pictorial record made at the time?
It is very interesting to note that even if a set was unused there will still be a heap of parts requiring replacement to make it stable and safe. At least said parts won't be coated in decades worth of scorched dust/animal hair/grease as has been previously noted.

This set would have been fantastic for DX-TV back in the day where one could seen TV from around Europe via Sporadic-E. The valve tuner would resist cross-modulation if signals were really thundering in with a high gain aerial.
Neil Purling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:46 am   #54
Paul_RK
Nonode

Quote:
Or a bit like buying and selling really old wine but not actually drinking it. Oh, hang on, isn't that what really old wine people actually do ?
Yes, and it's something of a mystery to me, unless, I suppose, viewed purely as a financial investment, as with the folk who harbour bars of gold which never get made into anything at all interesting.

Now, if really old wine could have its cork pulled every few years, allowing its fortunate owner and any guests who might be present the chance of a good deep sniff at the contents - even maybe poured out into a glass and held up to the light - and then be put back in the bottle until the next time and wouldn't be significantly the worse for such outings, even decades or perhaps centuries later... then I'd see the point of it without difficulty. A bit like an old TV or radio that's hardly been out of its box.
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:50 pm   #55
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

All interesting views and opinions. Slidertogrid pm me if you wish, i have family in Letchworth and near Haverhill. My thoughts and opinions about this are expressed in the opening text. However once its in someone else possession they can do what they like with it. I have allot of unopened packaging from the last century including radio and television related items. Generally though these are not sealed so opening them carefully to have a peek and then closing up does no harm. I have a couple of boxed radios as well, one unused 1950's pye and the other clearly used but packed up again for some reason. This is a 1930's phillips, with the man on the sides.
An impending move means i was hoping to move on a few of the more bulky items that are not able to be displayed to the public. However if there are no takers then ill hid it away somewhere.
If there are people interested then the facebook page is facebook.com/packagingmuseum
Fizzingtelevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 4:26 pm   #56
GrimJosef
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Quote:
Or a bit like buying and selling really old wine but not actually drinking it.GJ
Ah but if you drink the vintage wine it is gone forever whereas this TV will still exist if it's unboxed.
No. That's the whole point. What exists now is an unopened box with a TV in it. If you take the TV out then it will become a much more common thing. I'm guessing that there are quite a few of these out of their boxes (we know that there's at least one ) and there doesn't seem to be much point in having yet another one. But there may only be a single one that's still in its unopened box. If we take it out then that's it - a unique thing will have gone forever. Like the last dodo. But hey, so what, who cares ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 14th Oct 2018, 5:20 pm   #57
Paul_RK
Nonode

Quote:
If we take it out then that's it - a unique thing will have gone forever. Like the last dodo. But hey, so what, who cares ?

Cheers,

GJ
Yes, a unique thing will have gone forever, but all that will have gone - to begin with - is the intactness of the tape that seals the box, and the fact of its being a TV that nobody will have seen since it was sealed into the box (numerous people will have seen it on its way to becoming a complete and tested set). If those properties are all that's lost, I for one would be disposed to join a chorus of "hey, so what, who cares?". The sealing tape is of no particular interest to anyone as far as I know, and the fact of its never having been opened is just that, mere fact, no guarantee at all against electrical or cosmetic deterioration over the years.

Myself, I'd probably open it, take a look, probably remove the back even for a more comprehensive look, take the photographs, then put it back in the box so I or someone else could do the same again five or ten or fifty years later, minus only the cutting or removal of the sealing tape. But that's just my version of how the thing might be most rewarding to most people over the longest period of time. It won't be mine, at least I don't expect it will, though I'll soon be living in north Norfolk not terribly far from Haverhill and might well be tempted to an arrangement were one possible.

Paul
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2018, 5:38 pm   #58
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

One could poke a small hole. or even find one, in the case and use an endoscope.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 7:23 pm   #59
stitch1
Hexode

I have no interest in TVs but find this thread fascinating. They are clearly those in the open and keep it as is camp and those that would get it working (assuming itís not a box full of sand) and some who feel very strongly about preserving it as is.

Itís on here because itís for sale so if you feel strongly one way or another buy it. Anyway I hope someone buys it and puts us out of our misery!

It would be interesting if this was on eBay, how much would be paid for a box with unknown contents no matter how honourable the seller is because even he canít gaurente whatís in the box.

John
Old 14th Oct 2018, 10:06 pm   #60
slidertogrid
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzingtelevision View Post
All interesting views and opinions. Slidertogrid pm me if you wish,
Pm sent
Rich.
slidertogrid is offline   Reply With Quote