UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2018, 12:34 am   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Philips 22CS1002/05t TV, purple and dark picture

this set, with a number of issues, has previously been discussed here, if it helps: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=110106&page=4

I had this set 'quick serviced' last year to deal with some of the minor issues, picture jumping and colour flickering essenstially. It was fine for a while, but the fickering returned just before christmas, along with a new problem.
It seemed to come on with a purple/reddish tint. It faded quickly, but as time's gone on, it's gotten much worse. Now the TV starts pretty much pitch-black, and the image is a very dark purple. It'll now take about 10 minutes to come to a full brightness and proper colour. The problem seems to be getting progressively worse.
Is there any idea as to what this is, and how to fix it? Thanks again for the help
Old 5th Mar 2018, 3:47 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV, purple and dark picture

Purple Haze, Jimmy Hendricks.
Sorry, no idea really but CRT faults give some odd hues.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 9:15 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

No green?
Old 5th Mar 2018, 9:37 am   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Could be that there is no or intermittent drive to the green gun, or the gun is toast.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 11:54 am   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

If this is the K30 chassis there is an electrolytic capacitor on the A1 supply located top middle of the panel near the A1 control I think it's 4.7 mfd at 400v volts. This is a dim distant memory so don't quote me on that ! But it will be around that value.
It would dry up and cause brightness and greyscale problems on this and the KT3 chassis.
I think we used to replace it with a 10 mfd for some reason which I can't remember...
Worth a look.

Rich.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 12:10 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
If this is the K30 chassis....
Rich.

I can confirm this set uses the Philips K30 chassis.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 12:11 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes correct. Go for the capacitor first. Very common to give greyscale problems. Easy and cheap fix.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 12:52 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Also if the decoder IC is a TDA3560 in a holder, remove the holder and solder directly to the PCB.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 12:55 pm   #9
1955APREN
Hexode

hi
I agree with sam about this no green . can you check the collector voltage on the three colour output transistors . The green one could be o/c base collector if these are ok looks like the green gun in the crt is low taking a long time to warm up
regarde Derrick
Old 5th Mar 2018, 1:10 pm   #10
Eidolon
Hexode

thanks for the help everyone. There was no fault in this way until it was 'fixed', so i thoguht it being a direct issue with the guns was remote, unless he caught something relating to it on one of the circuit boards. He was soldering a lot, and tweaking things to get the picture to improve, I thought h must have accidentally dislodged or damaged something while messing around inside the set.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 4:10 pm   #11
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi. I have a KT-3 chassis Philips from the same era. Mine has a completely black picture. See here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=140773
Old 5th Mar 2018, 10:36 pm   #12
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
thanks for the help everyone. There was no fault in this way until it was 'fixed', so i thoguht it being a direct issue with the guns was remote, unless he caught something relating to it on one of the circuit boards. He was soldering a lot, and tweaking things to get the picture to improve, I thought h must have accidentally dislodged or damaged something while messing around inside the set.
More likely that something has failed now the set is back in use. old electrolytic capacitors dry up and sometimes even go open circuit due to expanding and becoming disconnected from the foil.
the tube base socket and pins are worth a check as are the gun switches I cant remember having any problems with these on the K30 but the sets are a lot older now. the gun switches certainly went leaky on other sets. the BRC 3000/ 3500 springs to mind...
Rich.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 1:51 pm   #13
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
More likely that something has failed now the set is back in use. old electrolytic capacitors dry up and sometimes even go open circuit due to expanding and becoming disconnected from the foil.
the tube base socket and pins are worth a check as are the gun switches I cant remember having any problems with these on the K30 but the sets are a lot older now. the gun switches certainly went leaky on other sets. the BRC 3000/ 3500 springs to mind...
Rich.
it's been pretty much in use solidly, it's not recently returned to use.
The repair chap said something about soldering a board in that might be loose to fix it?
Old 9th Mar 2018, 1:54 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

i.e. hard-wiring one of the plug-in daughter boards because its edge connections have become intermittent.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 5:24 pm   #15
slidertogrid
Octode

Ok Fair enough.. Have you tried replacing the capacitor or checking it?
Old 10th Mar 2018, 2:23 pm   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It has been known for the A1 presets on the K30 to disintegrate so a meter is your friend here.
Closed Thread