View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:24 pm   #101
GP49000
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard record player deck identification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I also have a GT35P, I never imagined that there was a changer version.

Sadly, mine has had a hard life. It had been used at a community radio station, and the platter 'leans' slightly to the front left - perhaps due to heavy handedness in (or maybe total unsuitability for) back-cueing. The heavy platter looks nice, but a quick look below shows a less glamourous reality - it sits on a sort of flimsy plastic sub platter/base, presumably there is bearing or shaft wear here in my case - certainly doesn't look designed for any kind of rigourous use.
The center bearing "shaft" for the record changer models needs to be hollow for the multiple-play spindle; its "shaft" is merely a piece of cylindrical, thin metal that is an interference fit into the casting that forms the base of the thrust bearing. The "shaft" in my GT35 was loose and wiggly; I secured it with cyanoacrylate adhesive. While the center bearing of the GT35P differs...it is a fixed shaft with a thrust ball on top, with the thrust pad inside the bore of the plastic subplatter...if it isn't any more firmly attached, it may have become wobbly, or actually bent. The attachment is not strong enough for heavy back-cueing in the long term.

=================================================

Quote:
I had to strip, clean and rebuild the 3v DC motor as it would cut out. The motor itself is not very good quality, looks like the sort of sankyo thing found in cassette decks of the period.
Exactly what it is! The governor circuit integrated circuit, the UPC1003, was very commonly used in cassette decks of the day. It's almost impossible to find them any more; my last one, which I still have in the parts file, was purchased from Aiwa using the part number specified for their AD-3500 cassette deck.

Quote:
Despite all that, it still soldiers on, so I have a soft spot for it!
It DOES perform well when properly fettled!

The reject control in the GT25(P) and GT35(P) models operates differently from how we normally perceive such a device. It actuates
a velocity trip on the main gear in the automatic module, like in most automatic turntables, but backwards. Turning the knob to REJECT or
START/REJECT actually resets the levers of the velocity trip to their "idle" position; it is the return motion of the knob under spring tension
that moves the levers into position to start the auto cycle. I was told that this is because the velocity trip on these units is so light and
sensitive that if that first "reset" action were not taken, sometimes the velocity trip would not function properly. Garrard's solution works
but seemed counterintuitive to some, so that a Service Bulletin had to be issued to explain why, if a user turned the knob to REJECT and held
it there, the auto cycle would not start until he actually released it.

Last edited by GP49000; 25th Feb 2013 at 11:33 pm.