View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 10:39 pm   #38
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Repeat guaranteed!!

Back in the 1990s there was a presenter called Graham Torrington who used to do a show across the GWR network called "Late Night Love" -- love songs, messages from people in love to their lovers and discussion about relationship-related topics, with a different overall theme each night. It could have been complete mais en sauce de fromage but for G.T.'s mellifluous voice and thoughtful presentational style; not butting in while listeners were telling their tales on the phone, and sensitively handling more challenging stories of bad relationships and bereavements. My respect for Torrington only increased when he had to stand in on the Saturday night pre-club warmup "Party Hard!", a completely different style of programme, when the regular presenter was indisposed -- and still managed to nail it, as though he was completely at home presenting any kind of show.

Closer to home there was Radio Derby's lunchtime slot from 12:00 - 14:00, with John Stiles, including -- in the days long before eBay -- the Swap and Sale Trail, classified adverts on the air! (that's my Dad, by the way .....)