View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2020, 9:45 pm   #30
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Very interesting auction of communications equipment

I was just pondering on a 'guesstimate' of the likely weight of this 'cornucopia' of clobber. Given that this is a vintage radio forum, the auction is of vintage radio equipment and I'm of pre-decimal vintage myself, it seems appropriate to use pounds and tons as units of weight rather than kgs and tonnes.

A Bush DAC90A weighs 10 Ibs, a Bush TR82 weighs 7 Lbs. Let's assume that an average weight of the 180 domestic radios on offer is 8 Lbs. That's an approximate total of 1440 Lbs - just over half a ton. On the military/amateur radio side, an 1155 weighs 33Lbs (yes, some have steel cases, other aluminium). Some sets in the auction will weight less (amateur stuff) other will weight more, but so as to not split hairs, let's say an average of 25 Lbs, which may be a bit on the low side. So, 125 Mil/AR sets x 25 Lbs = 3,125 Lbs. Thus, those whole lot will be 1,440+3,125 Lbs = 4,565 Lbs. One ton = 2,240 Lbs, so the whole collection will tip the scales at just over two tons.

Strewth!

It will be interesting to see how 'avoirdupois' pounds compare to GB £s after the auction!