View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:05 am   #46
johntech
Triode

Default Re: Availability of Leaded Solder?

Dangerous Substances !
I am a retired TV Engineer formally an Electrician.
When we where at school we played with Mercury. I also used to melt lead and cast things. Our water came through lead pipes we used aluminium pans and drove around in a Morris 1000 powered by leaded petrol ! We used lead solder for 50 years taking no precautions regarding ventilation. Now I suspect a good percentage of folk on this forum are in their 70's
and are wondering when this health and safety free life is going to kill them ! Only time will tell but I suspect alcohol and smoking may be to blame if we don't make 100 !
And it gets worse today the electric company fitted my house with smart meters.
Did you know gas pipes and electrical items have to be 150mm apart ie I have a gas pipe runs 2 inches above my meters plastic case as it has done for 50years and it does not comply says young engineer who must have been on the 2week course.
Oh and the junction box that splits the output from the meter it is possible for someone to stick a screwdriver up the side of the cable and get a shock!
I will have to replace that. So to all this I replied what about my gas boiler electricity and gas mixed together in one box ! And regarding the junction box it is considerably safer than a BC lamp holder !
Is it just me or is Health and Safety (good if mixed with common sense and experience) a very good money maker for everyone concerned.
What do the team think ?