View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2020, 2:43 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Garrard AT60 Questions

Trying to get this AT60 is good order, and a few questions if anyone can help? The idler has been replaced with one from an SP25, is this a good and suitable replacement?

I don’t have the original to compare it to, but on the face of it, it does seem a good fit. There are speed problems unrelated to the auto change mech, which at this point could also be the speed change mechanism, that is getting stripped as we speak. But I do also wonder about the idler itself. The tension spring is good, motor is good, idler is clean and supple, as is the weighty platter and motor pulley.

The inner “silver” ring on the lovely big platter has yellowed at the edges (see pictures). It seems this ring is covered in plastic, and I wonder if that has yellowed rather than the silver under it. Before having a go and making matters worse, I thought I’d ask if anyone knows of a solution for this? If I have to live with it, so be it.

Bit of background: I bought this years ago when I knew a lot less than I know now. At the time the original idler was rock hard and beyond skimming or alcohol rubbing, so it got chucked and I nicked one from an SP25. I wish I’d kept the original to compare it to now!

I did also regrease many parts of the mech, but 5 years in a loft and the LM2 lithium grease seems to have gone thick and sticky. It was poor grease and probably too thick for this application anyway. So it’s being redone now with lighter white lithium grease. I’ve finally found a place in my home for this nice deck so want to get it fettled as good as possible and fit a Stanton 500 cartridge to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFAF6DA7-8C3B-4520-A128-200C7082330F.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	220345