View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2019, 1:56 am   #119
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Hi Everyone,

this is just to let you know that the first Hedghog in Germany is now operational. I had programmed the FPGA last night and had also finished the PCB. Soldering the TVP5150 was quite a challenge though but I managed.

After running first tests my impression is WOW! or in German I would say "Affengeil!" . The image quality and performance is absolutely superb! I am very impressed! Frank C. has done a fantastic job in creating this little device! Thank You Sir!

As I am planning to use a totally different case I have not added any switches and only the necessary components for testing. I have made the following changes:

- Used low profile 2x14 pin headers for the FPGA board, so it would rest a little lower than in the original design. This, however, necessitated removing the power connector from the FPGA board.

- Omitted the 7805 regulator. I am powering the unit from an old Blackberry mobile phone charger via a micro USB jack. This worked very well. The unit consumes about 250mA, so most chargers should be fine as they usually can supply at least 500mA. I also checked the Hedghogs performance to voltage variations and between 4.8V and 5.2V I could not see any significant performance degradation.

- I will use BNC connectors for the Video I/O and RCA Connectors for the Audio. All Signal connectors will be mounted in the back of the case.

Attached I have a few images of my Hedghog PCB. I will post the final image when I have installed it in its case.

Semir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Semirs_Hedghog_First_Image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	179570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Semirs_Hedghog_VG1000_Testcard.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	179571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Semirs_Hedghog_First_Video_Helene_Fischer16by9_DVD.jpg