Thread: Pye Fenman II
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2022, 4:05 pm   #24
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Fenman II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenitht View Post
I bought a NOS EM80 but although it luminesces well, it doesn't change when turning in.
If you're just using the radio with the wire aerial on the back panel, even when a station sounds fairly loud, you'll see little change in the tuning indicator display. It needs a swing of several volts negative on the grid to alter the display significantly and you'll only get that with an external aerial. Even a few metres of wire will make a difference.

Might be worth checking the negative grid voltage of the EM80 both on and off tune, then trying it again with an external aerial.

EM80s are quite long lived, and I made the mistake of buying a new one, when I discovered that the old one performed just as well. (I even made a little EM80 tester to be sure). I plugged 3 Metres of wire into the external aerial socket and discovered that neither the radio nor the EM80 were faulty, it was just that the AGC voltage didn't vary much without an external aerial. (That was on a 'Fenman 1' - a much simpler radio of no particular note).