View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2021, 9:43 am   #33
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Why did Leeds get the 0532 dialling code ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitcrab View Post
The phone book did used to have a comprehensive listing of international dialling codes including the type of ringing/engaged tones in use etc for each country. However, this seemed slightly unnecessary as I think anyone can tell when a phone is ringing out or not even if the ring is different e.g. a single ringtone (instead of double ringtone as the UK uses).
Actually, I seem to remember ringing a number in Germany many years ago and getting what sounded like the UK's engaged tone but was actually the German ringing tone. In fact, checking the World Tone Database, it seems it remains unchanged today, though I notice that its cadence is somewhat slower (and a semitone higher in pitch) than UK engaged. Also, China's dial tone (as presented by a unit I use to connect a landline telephone to the mobile network) sounds similar to the UK number unobtainable tone, so such information can help to dispel confusion. Of course, WTD is even better because you can hear the tones for yourself rather than read a description of them.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 15th Dec 2021 at 9:49 am.