View Single Post
Old 15th May 2021, 9:39 pm   #18
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default Re: Big DC power supply

Evening all, thanks for the interest. Tim, the 736 is still performing faultlessly but not yet on 23cm .

Found this thread from when I unwound the transformer.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ghlight=Mc3423

The warc design used 4 pass transistors but acquired the 2 heatsinks with transistors already fitted for less than the price of bare heatsinks.

Yes the amplifier is the 160 watt version with a driver and 2 finals. It was bought off ebay from a forum member as a kit of parts so was a bit of an unlnown. I rebuilt it and tidied the wiring, and added a small 12v fan and ventilation holes as parts inside have the potential to get warm and there was no means of airflow into and out of the case. Ive given it some brief testing and it was pulling 20 amps on a whistle test, but thats as far as I got with it before putting it back on the shelf

I do have a drae 24 amp supply but wanted to keep that hooked up to the HF gear ( I have a sommerkamp badged ft-707 that is a superb radio to use ) and have a dedicated one for driving the linear. Its probably totally overkill given the duty cycle on ssb and the use it will get given how quiet the bands are , but its something to keep me mentally stimulated through the drudgery of working from home and not getting out anywhere at the moment. Not got too long to go now though, decided to finish next april

Last edited by Steve G4WCS; 15th May 2021 at 9:50 pm.