Old 20th Apr 2019, 4:30 pm   #8
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Heat sinking grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
They are synchronous motors and they often fail mechanically rather than electrically I found. As you say, they hold the valve open against the spring.
The grease could simply be gear grease that has melted and been drawn between the motor and plate by capillary action. I have never seen heat compound in one
Yes, no heatsink is needed. Motor
Valve
That motor appears identical to the one I bought from Screwfix to replace the faulty one. In the screwfix kit there are two ‘spare’ crimp connectors so you can cut off the spade connectors and crimp on the required ones. I bought 3 spare synchronous motors, a crimp tool altogether for £10 less than one complete replacement valve headset!

The valve it sits on is a 2 port valve by Siemens. The valve headset is held in place against the valve body by 4 clips/springs, you can apply firm pressure and release the two parts in situ - handy. But, Siemens know there are problems with these valves and our plumber replaced 2 out of 3 within months of our new installation at no expense to us. He said his firm had replaced many of these valves in the previous 12 months. Perhaps I will become the local expert, replacing the motor took less than 5 minutes and of course there is the satisfaction of a diy job well done!