View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2022, 12:35 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Radios with motor tuning units

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewferguson View Post
Am I correct in thinking that this "motor tuning unit" means you press a button and the tuning dial automatically moves to the desired station?
Absolutely!

I've got an old RGD up in the loft with motorised push button tuning and years ago I used to have a Philips radio that had the same. Unfortunately the Philips contracted bad woodworm and was dumped during a house move several decades ago - today I would have treated the woodworm and kept the radio. The Philips radio was working perfectly back then, but the RGD packed up about 20 years ago and I never bothered with it. The motorised tuning part had long been disconnected by its previous owner on this RGD, who was the son of the person that bought it new in around 1936, 7 or 8 - I can't remember exactly now without looking it up.

As the RGD was a 'one owner from new' type job, it still had it's original paperwork/instruction book, which I've got filed away somewhere - if I can find it I'll post the part that describes the motor tuning. Unfortunately, the radio itself isn't in the best of condition, as the previous owner bought it into the place where I used to work and it was used as the workshop 'music and news' entertainment source for many years and got knocked about a bit. It would have been dumped in the end when he left if I hadn't saved it and taken it home.

Last edited by Techman; 21st Oct 2022 at 12:48 pm.