View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2022, 12:10 pm   #1
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Radios with motor tuning units

I was reading the (very interesting) thread on "Vintage radio prices - trends and observations" and I came across the post by Steve (Panrock) about his Defiant MSH938. Curious about the looks of a radio, which, in Steve's words "has such a commanding presence it cannot be missed", I looked it up on Radiomuseum.org. In the description, I spotted this gem:

Quote:
An exceptionally large pre-war AC mains 5 band table radio housed in a wooden case. With a magic eye tuning indicator, a Motor Tuning Unit controlled by 12 station selector buttons operative on all 5 wavebands permitting easy adaption to individual radio station requirements except for television sound which remains permanently set.
Am I correct in thinking that this "motor tuning unit" means you press a button and the tuning dial automatically moves to the desired station? If true, this would absolutely blow my mind (and my budget - as I would need to acquire a radio with this capability at once! ).

A few months ago I bought a Sony ST-333, a lovely late 70s tuner that has an unusual tuning system based upon variable capacitance diodes whereby you can tune it manually or jump to pre-sets using buttons, but that doesn't automatically move the tuning dial to the desired station (instead, it essentially has many tuning dials, one for each pre-set, and selecting the pre-set selects the desired tuning dial).