View Single Post
Old 15th May 2021, 3:33 pm   #7
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: Using LTSpice for schematics

I've been using LTSpice quite a bit lately (a few weeks only), not so much for drawing schematics, as to improve my understanding of solid state amps, and how they function / perform in detail, as well as to learn the use of the program itself.

It's been very educational using the published schematics and spec. of a NAD 3020, to draw and simulate parts of the circuit (most) in LTSpice. Not all the components exist within the basic LTSpice library, so I've been 'forced' to learn how to build the symbols and schematics needed for e.g., linear, inv. log, and tapped potentiometers, as I went along, as well as finding and adding the specific component 'models' for various transistors, etc. Simulation of RIIA networks was also somewhat of a 'hurdle' for a while...

In any case, starting from a known schematic and performance spec. I think has helped quite a lot - so it's now at a point where I can simulate a lot of the circuit stages, e.g., to obtain the correct frequency response for the pre-amp, including bass, treble, and tapped volume controls, the transient start-up characteristics of the muting circuit, etc. It's certainly a very useful tool, or will be, albeit one with a not insignificant, but none-the-less enjoyable, learning curve...

It's still very much a work (hobby) in progress, but I'd have to say I've been very impressed with its capabilities so far. I'm not sure I'd recommend it specifically for drawing a circuit but I'm sure I'm still lacking some of the necessary skills...

Alan