View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 12:13 pm   #7
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Re: Another Masts Quiery (Query): M1, near J19

Plenty of LF, VLF and ELF comms still about, mostly in the form of FSK modes these days, but some remains as QRS 'morse', used in 'bellringer' applications - ie to alert the radio operator that they need to switch to a higher frequency, higher capacity link for the actual message. Incidentally, the Grimeton Alexanderson Alternator is due a run on 17kHz in the next few days, thats in Morse, and very easy to receive if you have a long wire antenna and a PC soundcard with spectrum analysis software (i use Spectrum lab). Its quite fascinating to set up to watch the waterfall display between a few khz and say 20khz. Text of email about the transmission below -

EXTRA GRIMETON RADIO/SAQ TRANSMISSION

There will be a transmission with the Alexanderson alternator on 17.2 kHz on "United Nations Day" October 24, 2012 at 10:30 UTC.

Start up and tuning from about 10:00 UTC.

We do not require any QSL-reports this time and will not verify.

Regards.

SM6NM/Lars

P.S. We still intend to continue with our annual transmissions on Christmas Eve (morning), Dec 24, at 08:00 UTC with tuning up from 07:30 UTC. D.S.

Incidentally, Daventry is now a storage and repair facility for Arqiva.

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com

Last edited by Martin G7MRV; 22nd Oct 2012 at 12:18 pm. Reason: my text in middle of Lars' text