View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 3:47 pm   #42
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi

With many thanks to a nudge by Andrew (Andrewwausfa) I put the T311 chassis back onto the workshop bench yesterday so hopefully I can resume work on this epic Ekco restoration.

No sooner had the chassis landed on the bench frustration set in. It was a dire day outside with lashing rain and terrific wind on our valley side; the door bell rang and I answered it to a neighbour then got dragged into a car breakdown. An hour later after a soaking and being blown around; I was seated in peace and drying out at the computer when yet another white begging bag (Help the aged) was thrust through our letterbox again distracting me. I did eventually manage to print off all the information kindly given to me by forum members in this thread regarding repairing the chassis. I then spent a while going over the thread to try to pick up where I had left off.

This morning started off very well; I switched on the fan heater and was soon comfortable in the workshop and spent time fitting the LOPT kindly given to me a while ago by Mike (Mikeymushradio). I expected lots of problems because the original LOPT housing had disintegrated to powder breaking a number of the LOPT connections and as this is my first ever TV chassis restoration I felt very much the novice. I was surprised though because fitting the LOPT was relatively easy; two connections were dead easy these being the two valve top caps; the thick screened wire was also easy to solder in place. Two thin wires coming out of the LOPT base were joined to their respective colour coded original wires which I stripped back then added tiny coils using my home made miniature wire winder slipping on heat shrink tubing before soldering then shrinking the tubing using a match. I even think I’ve connected the LOPT correctly which has cheered me up. The U25 supplied with the LOPT was left in place saving more work and I have a spare should this prove to be faulty.

Then I had a “senior moment” I went into the garage to collect the coils I had removed from the neck of the CRT but could not find them. I then checked the front bedroom but still couldn’t locate them neither could I find them in the workshop. I knew they were stored in a margarine container for safety so once again into the garage but they remained elusive; half an hour later I found them grinning at me sitting on top of a large bobbin of winding wire in the workshop where I had placed them out of harms way. I must be losing the plot!!

I had already mounted the CRT into a sturdy wooden frame and as this was large I had to clear both my scopes and other items from the bench end then I carried the CRT from the bedroom and it only just fitted onto the bench as can be seen in the picture. This took care of the morning.

After dinner I had just made a start on the computer as I wanted to have a look at the pictures I had taken of the chassis when yet another white begging bag was thrust through the letterbox (Safetoday). This bag was dumped in the bin and I had just got seated when the door bell rang. Another neighbour was invited in and this time she was enquiring if I would be prepared to reduce the size of a very expensive wooden fireplace that had been imported from China years ago; it only (?) wanted 6” removing from the center then re-joining and made good. She was willing to pay for me to do the work but I politely said I didn’t want the job and I didn’t need the money; I wonder who will be visiting tomorrow?

I find it very hard to settle down on a project as I am constantly broken off which shatters my concentration; I should feel flattered that so many people would like me to do work for them but in reality it is now all becoming very wearing indeed. If I have the time I don’t mind helping anyone out but my neighbours are downright cheeky and seem to think because I have the machinery and a bit of knowledge that I’m obliged to drop everything for them. Being retired is hard work and seven days a week. Sorry if I sound to be moaning but there is no let up living here from all these interruptions.

Now the chassis is back on the bench I’ll stick with it and over the next few days will settle down to working on it; next job is to add the coils onto the CRT neck and connect everything up; I’ll remove the mains cap if present by simply snipping it out; the chassis already looks a great deal better as I’ve tidied it up by blowing off with an airline and polished a few bits of aluminium; I also wiped a lot of the cables with a meths soaked rag this morning as my hands became dirty every time I touched them.

I can’t believe it was April I last touched this chassis but I’m here again and rambling so everything in the world is good.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T311 back on bench..jpg
Views:	299
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	55990