View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2016, 3:06 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-veneering a hifi receiver

Things are moving along - a little.

The problem: I am unable to re veneer the inside faces of the cabinet side cheeks as that would thicken them inwards (the outside faces are obviously not a problem) and the cabinet would no longer drop/slide into place over the chassis sides. So, I have to stain and lacquer those inside areas to match, as best as I can, the new veneer once it too is lacquered. I may add that the amount of the inner side panels that will be visible is minimal, just a very narrow strip along the top and also down the inner faces of the side panels adjacent to the receiver front panel. So that works in my favour; even though I will do my best to attain a match, a 'reasonable' match should be sufficient. The other thing is, the original veneer is quite plain, one colour, whereas my new figured rosewood has many variations in colour, so that again works in my favour, I don't have to find the perfect, one colour match, but something that fits inbetween a range of hues.

So, I just cut a spare strip of veneer and lacquered it. It didn't make a great deal of difference, but as expected, the lacquered version is darker, particularly the areas that were already darker. I can now sand down those cabinet inner panels - not so easy along the cabinet top where this edge is but a couple of millimetres! - but in way that makes it less critical, less will be seen - and then apply stain and lacquer to match the lacquered (new) veneer. I can experiment getting the correct colour stain/lacquer on the greater areas of the side panels as they will not be seen when the cabinet is in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010383.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	132844   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010384.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	132845