View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2016, 7:21 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-veneering a hifi receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Looking forward to seeing the completed results Steve, the sort of thing I'd love to do. I wish there was a night school that taught this.
I spotted this on eBay myself, had no idea that Tandy kit was becoming so valuable! Hard to believe that it is now 16 years since most of the shops closed.
Peter
Peter I think everyone who was around in the 70s including myself had the view that Tandy/Realistic stuff was rubbish. Now, both time and people digging around for information have told us that it was often very good kit. The hifi stuff was made in Japan or Korea by the same people making Pioneer, Sanyo and Hitachi kit, to name a few. There's lots of stuff on the internet about it, especially in America where I think more people embraced the Realistic brand rather than look down their noses at it. My present 'thing' is large 70s receivers and having worked on several now, I can honestly say that the build quality of this one is excellent. Interestingly, it has a very large toroidal transformer similar to the one used in a particularly sought after large Pioneer receiver. Apparently, back in the day, Pioneer objected to this and the next year the Realistic model sported a conventional transformer!