View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2016, 4:39 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re-veneering a hifi receiver

This Realistic receiver came complete with some kind of black stain or paint over the top and also on the front of the side panels to a lesser extent. I considered all my options along the lines of sanding down and re polishing. The biggest problem is that the top is glued to the sides of the cabinet. Normally with this kind of cabinet the sides and top are separate pieces. As this cabinet is one piece, I am unable to do any meaningful, with the grain, sanding on that badly stained top panel, enough to get down to fresh wood, if at all. I didn't want to see remnants of that black stain after lots of hard work stripping etc - even if that was possible. I could have tried to have matched in a new piece of veneer on top but it would never have been a perfect match. Not just that but I want this, a top line receiver to look good, so I have decided to re veneer it. I've veneered speakers in the dark and distant past including thin 1/4" front edges that required very careful, painstaking concentration in order to get it right and not look 'home made'.

As yet the veneer is ordered, awaiting arrival. I'm a big fan of rosewood so that's what I'm going to use. The photo attached is the one from the veneer company, so I doubt if it will exactly the same but I'm sure it will be nicely figured. Updates in due course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010260.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	131582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 15.59.13.png
Views:	559
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	131583