View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2012, 12:58 am   #53
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush AC34, no sound.

Here's what each heater voltage is, in order based on PJL's list.

UY41 - 31 Volts
UL41 - 45 Volts
UF41 - 12.6 Volts
UF41 - 12,6 Volts.
UM34 - 12.6 Volts.
UBC41 - 14 Volts.
UCH42 - 14 Volts.

All take 0.1 Amp.

If all the valves are lit - check! - then the total voltage drop across the valves should be 141.8 Volts.

Looking at the readings you have, I would take each valve out, one at a time please, clean the pins and spray some switch cleaner into the sockets. If you have a meter, switch to Ohms and connect the meter between pins 1 and 8 of the valves, making sure you get a reading. If you don't, clean the pins and check again. The UM34 is different as the heater is between pins 2 and 7. There's a diagram here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_um34.html

They are the pins 2 up from the pin on the centre spigot, all else is the same.

(I'm a bit surprised that a set with a mains transformer uses these valves, but it does happen. A Pilot set here does actually. Pilot Jack I think.)

If the valves are lit, the heater chain is OK. If some are lit but not others, switch off quick. If they are all out, check the heaters, sockets, wiring and the series resistor.

All LT voltages will be AC. HT voltages will be DC.

If they are all lit, pay attention to the HT line. The UL41 should have HT on 2 pins. One goes through the primary of the Output Transformer. If they are both dead, go back to the rectifier. If one is dead, the UL41 is probably knackered and so is either the wiring to or the O/P transformer primary. Another check - is the UM34 lit up. It might be very dim though - again check closely.

That's enough for now - Check and come back.

Cheers,

Steve P.