View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2019, 11:30 am   #178
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Bush TV22 with TC184 B3 converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helder Crespo View Post
Perhaps american companies were more risk prone, and when you have a big market to start with, any new solutions that are more reliable and/or efficient (e.g., the energy efficient scanning) can be very appealing within the context of an economy of scale.
I think that is correct.

When FM was invented RCA knew that people would not bring their AM radios back in for modification, so instead they more or less trialed it by bringing it out immediately post WW2, in their first post war TV set, the 621TS and quickly they moved to FM sound for all TV transmissions, while AM sound for TV persisted in other countries for a decade or more.

FM sound for radios initially was popularized in car radios before it really took off and now it is being exterminated by digital radio, which has inferior quality.

Coming from a small country like NZ, by the time we adopted any new tech in those says it was already mature, and we got monochrome TV, with FM sound around 1958-1960.

I was amazed when I first saw a TV set with AM sound in NZ, it was imported from the UK (didn't work in NZ of course) I had to modify the scan stages and convert the detector to FM and because the set was a TRF I had to hang a turret tuner on its front end to get it to work. The self oscillating line output stage was a challenge, I sped it up by parting the two halves of the line output transformer's core to make it run at 15,625 KHz.