View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2017, 2:09 am   #183
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: All about CB radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
The Major 588 was the first multimode export radio I ever got to see and use and I still think it's one of the best looking CB radios ever.
It was my second ever export multimode radio, my first being a Hygain V, which I bought brand new back in the AM only days. I sold that Hygain probably over 35 years ago to a forum member who I happen to know still has it in mint condition and in its original box - I wonder if he's going to post and admit to owning it

I think the Major 588 was the poor mans multimode 11, but I agree with what's been said with regards to the all black purposeful look. I bought mine under the counter from J Birkett in Lincoln, where I also bought that little Cybernet 1000 that i showed earlier on in this thread. I don't think that John Birkett himself actually had anything to do with the selling of these radios and it was down to a member of his staff who was working in the shop at the time, but you had to be 'in the know' to find out about them as there was a bit of a thing about the 'old school' hams getting upset if it was thought that he had anything to do with CB radio

I ruined my Major 588 by modding it to within an inch of its life. It lacked a KC shift (frequency shift tune control) with it just having a single clarifier (RX only tune control). I drilled a hole in the front panel and fitted a rotary KC shift. The set as standard only had two bands, but I fitted another two, plus the 'splits', plus low power, high power, super low power and a multi tone bleep. People that saw it called it 'the porcupine', due to all the switches that were on the back. I sold it long ago to a lad who thought it was wonderful with all those mods, as this sort of thing was a bit of a rarity back in those early days. I hope it doesn't still exist anywhere and has been srapped long ago as it would be a real embarrassment for it to turn up now and for me to have to admit to all that awful work