Thread: SMD failures
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 1:50 am   #12
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: SMD failures

I find that there is a huge variation in ruggedness when it comes to MLCC parts.

The old Murata GRM42 100nF 50V from the mid 1990s was fairly bulletproof and these were in 1206 package. Normally 1206 is one of the most fragile packages. The Murata 1nF COG 0805 parts from the 1990s were equally robust. These Murata parts had tiny codes stamped on them 1A5 and 1A3. They could be reused and chased around a PCB with a hot soldering iron with very little risk of damage.

I keep meaning to buy more of the GRM42 100nF caps from Murata, the particular part number went obsolete many years ago but they are still available from some traders. I'd also like to buy more of their old 0805 1nF parts. By comparison, the modern equivalents from the other manufacturers are very fragile.

Note that it really isn't good to place an MLCC DC blocking cap near an RF connector at the edge of a PCB as the MLCC will eventually crack after several connection cycles of the RF connector. The old Murata caps and some ATC cap types can survive in these locations but a modern MLCC won't last long if stressed like this.