View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 4:45 pm   #34
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Re: European voltage in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
IME, most low voltage substations contain only a single transformer. Protection against failure is usually be feeding from adjacent parts of the network.
Small transformers for isolated groups of consumers or for a single consumer have no such facility. Transformer failures are handled by either quick replacement, or by use of a generator.

Duplicated LV transformers are generally due to either exceptional load growth, or as above, legacy cable systems intended for 3 wire DC and now supplied with 6 phase AC.

High voltage substations do indeed often have duplicate transformers so as to ensure continuity of supply in case of a failure.
Thanks broadgage you've confirmed exactly what I thought the situation was. I didn't realise how HV subs were set up it's always interesting to know how it,s all done. One extra point on a local HV sub I noticed that on one tranny the fans were turning slowly and on the other not at all. Are they speed controlled? By the way I know it's a little off topic but can the mods indulge me a little please