View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 2:26 pm   #53
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: AR88 Low HT

Its not too difficult drilling out the riveted solder tags, just still deciding what to do with them. I've not been able to find anything suitable in the form of standoff terminals etc, so I'm going to see what I can do with what's left.

I've epoxyed the red/brown insulators back onto the unit, and will see if I can solder a piece of insulated wire to the tag and use epoxy or milliput to set it in place leaving some wire in the tub to attach the new capacitors.

Possible issues may be this wire coming loose from the tag when soldering the connections to the finished units. It seems they mitigated this originally by flowing LOTS of solder on to the bottom of the tag, which would require heat directly applied for some time to melt it. I will try and recreate this, but at the same time might risk degrading the epoxy by flowing lots of solder there.

My backup plan is forget the tag, use a stiff piece of insulated wire and bend back on itself to form something resembling a tag I can solder to and keep the soldering iron out of direct contact with the epoxy.

Its proving an interesting project, and I have to say if I'd known initially how bad some of these terminal seals had been, I wouldn't have bothered re-stuffing at all and would have mounted new parts on tag strip or paxolin board as others have done! I've spent so much time on these now that I feel I have to finish them to a point.

Mods, this has gotten well off topic but I'd like to keep this thread going and hopefully add some pictures. Is it possible it could be renamed to ar88 restoration, or something similar? If you don't see this I'll drop a PM