View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 11:21 am   #49
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: AR88 Low HT

For anyone who has restuffed their bathtub units, can I ask did you retain the original terminals and did you test their integrity before re-stuffing?

On the previous 3 I did, I tested for shorts to the casing with a decent multimeter. Initially I found some very high resistance showing, which I believed to be residual moisture from washing the units. A blast with WD40 or heating with a hair drier seemed to improve then finally sort this. One unit I had to leave overnight in a warm house until it showed no connection. I did also move the lead and terminals around considerably and saw no peep of a connection once this was done. I then assumed all was ok, fitted the new parts and reinstalled in the receiver, which worked just fine.

On THESE I've just opened, a few days later and I'm still seeing some high resistance between terminals and case. One I had already restuffed showed 3ma leakage with a leakage tester on a new capacitor, which suggests to me a small short there in the insulation, water based or otherwise.

It COULD well be they have been in my cold and damp workshop and this hasn't dried them out. That's my hope, because otherwise I might need to rethink what I've done on the others. I brought them into the house last night and left them under a warm lamp. Will do some further checks later.

Just to be clear, I'm soldering to the bit of connecting wire left from the originals, and have stuck some silicon sleeving into the grommet they come out of.