View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 10:03 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Post Re: Another noisy TR82C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
My wife's early version TR82C has a crackle present at switch on(both bands) but clears a few minutes after switch on. Does the team think this could be resistor noise ?
Actually the whole set could do with an overhaul, it sounds slightly distorted, the volume control crackles when operated and the tone control doesn't.
I don't think the insides have been touched since '59!
Tim, as the crackle is present when adjusting the volume control, the pot itself could be passing DC. Check C29 and C30, particularly C29 which is an 8uF electrolytic and could be leaky.

For distortion, just check whether the distortion disappears when tuned to a weak station. A friend of mine had one of these sets which sounded fine on weak stations but distorted badly on Radio 4 or anything strong. I found that the AGC smoothing capacitor C23 (another 8uF electrolytic) was leaky, shorting out the AGC and causing overloading.

For the tone control, check the control itself plus C35 which could be open circuit. Advancing the control should 'muffle' the audio quite dramatically.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts