View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:52 am   #125
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: RetrotechUK May 21st

I nearly didn't come as the old venue was at the limit of what I consider a reasonable range, and this was further.

The parking was weird for me. When I initially saw the venue my first impression was that I was at the wrong place, but turned to pass the side entrance only to be confronted by a guy with a sign saying it was full and with an inadequite diagram to the overflow parking. OK, I was a bit late (11:30).

His diagram suggested to continue to a roundabout and loop back but it seemed a long way so turned round and went back to ask - only to now be directed to enter and "go left" via a very busy area. The CP appeared to be full and I ended up at the extreme corner in a sandy area that was only viable because it was so dry. On walking back across the CP I found there were loads of well-hidden spaces - so perhaps if the venue had a few people directing in the CP this might have been easier.

The web site described the venue as "the sports connexion" but the building with that label was the other event. Our building was clearly labelled "the arena" so that was confusing. The door staff at "the sports connexion" only seemed to vaguely know of RetroTech and not where the entrance was!

The lack of space for exhibitions was a shame as those have been an extra attraction at the WEC.

I think we were very lucky that the weather was so good.

Suggestion: Make a map of their complicated site and put it on the web site.
Perhaps the other event could park further away as they must all be young and not carrying anything much!