View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 5:51 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Vidor 9" table model model CN369A. 1948.

Mr Blooby has arrived!
As you can see by the pictures I have attempted to get 'first light' but it was not so simple as I thought. I must say I think it is the most uneventful first light I have ever been presented with but it is a start.

I unearthed an unknown Mullard MW22-14C and tackled some of the rotten wiring. This was not so bad but the workbench surface looked as if I had crunched a whole tube of Smarties over it.

I used stripped out rubber flex and the recovered innards was just right. I did the minimum required. I removed the timebase valves and very roughly fitted the tube into place. With the H.T. rectifier removed and the mains applied, nothing! Then it all fell into place. The Mullard tube is a tetrode requiring a bit of H.T. on it's first anode to produce anything at the flat end...
With great caution I fitted the 5Z4G rectifier [It should be the much beefier GZ32] and switched on while metering the H.T. line. It slowly crept up to around 100v and what do you know, the expected blob appeared proving the tube has probably got a bit of emission left.

The four huge H.T. electrolytics are all completely U/S and will require restuffing. That will be the next job when time permits.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vidor 369A 2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	77062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vidor 369A 2 (1).jpg
Views:	353
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	77063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vidor 369A 2 (2).jpg